decent soundcard for measuremets - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2013, 01:42 PM   #31
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Honestly... 0.0003% is necessary?
Old 19th February 2013, 04:51 PM   #32
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

Something I've been researching lately. Apparently not.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:07 PM   #33
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Good card? Well, my Audigy USB had high distortion on one channel. As it was more than a month old, Creative told me to buzz off. I bought an emu-1616u and the first one flat failed. By the time I was set up and running the second, the software has a memory leak that would crash the on-board video ram after a minute or two of acquisition. They admitted to the problem but refused to fix it. Dumped it and bought a M-Audio Profire 610. It has a severe problem with leakage/delay/magic causing several dB of ripple in loopback which makes all the measurement tools that use a reference, SE, HOLM etc, useless. They won't answer. It also will cause distortion on the analog out if the mic in is approaching clipping. I have a M-Audio FastTrack, and it mixes too much input to the output. Put your mic close to do a nearfield measurement and you get feedback. Again, M-Audio has no response. I am beginning to think semi-pro recording equipment makers are all trash and that is better than their products. What the heck out there actually works?
Old 20th February 2013, 07:52 PM   #34
ra7 is offline ra7  United States
diyAudio Member

I tend to agree with your view. I had an M-audio Transit and it worked really well, until it flat out failed. No computer will recognize it anymore. I would've bought another coz they are cheap, but it turns out they've discontinued it. There are some cards that are esoteric and then there are those that are expensive. Reliable, available, cheap and high performance don't go together, apparently.

I bought the 0204. More than a few people have reported success using it. Let's see how it goes.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:51 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

Been searching all the music store sites. The FocusRite 2i2 looks promising due to it's lack of features. Like no direct monitor mix. That may be fine for a musician, but it kills us. Drops me to USB and 24/96K which is fine for speakers I guess. 192 was nifty with the Firewire for looking at amp issues. The Akai EIE Pro also looks promising. Of course, Firewire is dead and no one has come out with the new HD interface or USB3 yet.

The 0204 looks like it has the monitor mix that is so problematic. My FastTack has that problem. Of course, emu admitting they have defective software and telling me to stick it makes me never want to deal with them again. I am in the software business, and memory leaks are inexcusable.

The next step up seems to be $2K, which is out of the question for us. Everything in the middle is just features. Quality? Know what the input amp is in the Profire? TLO72.

I am going to call up the Sweetwater folks and talk to them. They have been very helpful in the past. ZZsounds happens to be doing web maintenance today, so I don't know what they carry.
Old 20th February 2013, 09:18 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Had a good talk with Sweetwater. They really recommended an RME, but at a bit under a grand, is not exactly hobby speaker building. The message is: "it's the drivers!" So, what next? He agreed the Focusrite 2i2 sounds like the ticket at chump change. $ I am going to order one tomorrow.

Last edited by tvrgeek; 20th February 2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 20th February 2013, 09:28 PM   #37
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

the focusrite is firewire only IIRC
Old 20th February 2013, 09:32 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

More details. ( I took notes) Lynx is great. 2K and up range though. Stienburg is Yamaha. U22 not bad but has features we don't need like MIDI making the Focusrite a better unit for the same proie category. RME Baby Face for more than I can pay and their "real one is several K.
Old 20th February 2013, 09:47 PM   #39
diyAudio Member

2i2 is USB. Scarlett 2i2 | Focusrite
I only need 2 in, 2 out. Super basic. From what I gather, the difference is features, not performance until you move up to external clocks etc. I would not pass up a Pro 24 if I did not have to pay for it. It is within thinking about price wise. If you were also going to run something like Bodzio UE, then you need the additional outputs. To get the 196K back, you are talking four digits again.
Old 21st February 2013, 07:50 AM   #40
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

I'm looking only for a good AD and decent drivers to run ARTA or Spectraplus as a spectrum analyser, nothing else, I prefer to use an external generator (battery powered).

On a different computer I have a 1616m pci and I didnt have any issue with its drivers, but I never tried the AD.

"96 KHz, 24-bit conversion" - wonder where the HF noise starts :/

Hide this!Advertise here!