Power supply and oscilloscope problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a power supply with an AC output (0-22V, 4A). I want to use this output to simulate the secondary of a power transformer, not having to worry about circuit protection for now.

I wanted to use my oscilloscope (a Tektronix analog scope) to look at the effect of load variation from my regulation circuit.

I have the following problem: when I connect the tip of the oscillloscope probe, then the common, the voltage of the power supply drops significantly (as can be seen on the power supply display) and after 5 seconds the circuit breaker of the unit goes off. I made several test, I even succeeded at blowing the 2 amp fuse of the unit.

After some tests, I also noticed that using the DC output has the same effect. I switched probes, same results. I also verified with a multimeter (battery powered) there is no voltage drop between the oscilloscope and the unit grounds.

When I use my PC oscilloscope, this does not happen.

Does anybody have an idea of what could be wrong here? I never had any problem with the scope before.

Here is my guess:

The analog scope ground is connected to the AC safety ground and your power supply is the equivalent of a btl output. You are actually shorting one of the outputs to ground.

Solution(s):

If your scope has two inputs then connect the two probes to the two AC feeds and use the A-B function to view the difference.

OR build a differential to SE opamp cct that divides by 10

Always watch out for smoke. :)

Attachments

• diff-amp.jpg
    diff-amp.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 102
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.