Bench Multimeter - Which one to get ? Fluke Agilent ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2012, 06:50 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the input.
Old 25th November 2012, 07:27 AM   #12
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Another reason to choose LED... some Fluke LCD displays die prematurely. I bought a Fluke bench meter with a bad LCD display, and Fluke sold me a replacement for a reasonable amount. On some meters, the display can be saved by cleaning the conductive rubber strip with alcohol and/or flipping it end for end, which exposes fresh areas of contact material. A couple of coworkers and I bought Fluke 77's around the same time in the '80s; their displays failed within a few years; my 77 is still on the original display.

If you go for a used 88xx meter, be aware that while an 8810A appears to have switches and jacks for the ohm and AC V functions, those functions are not installed on the basic model, so the switches don't move (and break off if you try too hard). Presumably Fluke thought this would make it easier to upgrade, but it's annoying on the test bench and misleading when buying. There's a specification sticker on the underside with boxes to check off for the various options like AC, RMS, ohms, etc.
Old 26th November 2012, 05:21 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

another vote for fluke 45. I have 2 of them.

they have rs232 on the back! for us automation guys, that is useful. no need to mess with complex hpib to get values into your computer.

bought my flukes on fleabay for $100 or less. they are findable at that price if you keep trying.

inside, they are very simple and very well designed (and stable over time).

I also have the bigger flukes (88xx series) but the 45 is just right for most people short of standards labs guys
Old 7th December 2012, 10:30 PM   #14
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

I suggest an HP 3478A if you're on a budget. HP 34401A if you have more cash to burn. I bought my 3478A calibrated for about $150 and 34401A for roughly $400 on [THAT AUCTION SITE].

~Tom
Old 7th December 2012, 10:35 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thank you guys for the input.

I went with the 45.
I like the dual display feature.
Old 8th December 2012, 07:57 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

some of the older hp's and other brands will lose their calibration data if the battery on board is not changed in time. in fact, to change the battery means to lose calibration data! I have an HP that is like that, but my flukes store their data in eeprom (where it makes more sense than battery-backed ram!).

for people who don't want to be stuck with no calibration and forced to pay for that service after a battery failure, it can matter.

I've heard of people hot-plugging a new battery before removing the old (using blocking diodes). all just to keep their precious cal data

just a thing to be aware of when picking an older ebay meter that is digital.

Hide this!Advertise here!