Help with Calibration: Hickok Western Electric KS-15750-L1 Tubes Tester

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently got a Hickok KS-15750-L1
I am trying to calibrate it. I attached the operation manual and calibration process and schematic.

The AC voltages are fine.
The Plate DC voltage (#2b) is 214 VDC. It is suppose to be 148 - 156 VDC.
The Screen DC voltage is fine.

Does anyone have any idea what is the problem ?

Could it be a bad 83 tube ?
I tried with 2 different 83 tubes and get the same result.

Attachments

• Hickok KS-15750-L1 Manual.pdf
    832.9 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
One thing to remember, those old manuals specified an analog meter with maybe 10K or 20K ohms per volt. Digital meters barely load the circuit at all.

That is something I am unclear about.
The manual specifies a 1000 Ohm / volt DC meter.
I have a Fluke 87 V.

Does this mean, the DC voltage readings on the Fluke will be higher ?
If so, by what percentage ?

The manual also specifies to use a 1000 ohm / volt DC meter to measure the Screen voltage.
I use the Fluke and I get the correct reading.

Could you explain the purpose of the resistor ?
Also, how did you come up with 200K ?

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I put the 200k resistor in between the + and - probes of my Fluke meter ?

The resistor makes your meter input impedance match the test instrument specified in the calibration procedure.

200K = 1000 Ohms/volt multiplied by 200 volts. The specified test meter has a 200 volt scale. For lower voltages the scale might be 50 volts or 10 volts. the resistor should be adjusted according to which meter scale is used.

As you found, yes the resistor is connected across the Fluke meter test leads.

Since the Fluke meter is 10 Meg, the actual resistor value should be 204K but considering the approximate nature of the tube tester, 200K is close enough.

Could you explain the purpose of the resistor ?
Also, how did you come up with 200K ?

Just to make sure I understand you correctly, I put the 200k resistor in between the + and - probes of my Fluke meter ?

The resistor is used to simulate the 1000 ohms per volt meter. When measuring the plate and green voltage, you support to set the meter at 250V range, therefore the shunt resistor should be 240 to 250K ohms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.