What soldering iron - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2012, 12:39 AM   #31
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
That video helps to highlight another reason why I like the Metcal . The wand, the part where you insert the tip to in the Metcals extends almost right up to the tip, you only have around 4-5cm of tip that extends beyond where you fingers grip. This does give finer control over the tip and as there's less hot metal exposed you are far less likely to melt other things when you're working in space constrained, heavily populated, fiddly to reach areas.

Now I do a ton of soldering with SMD, standard parts and in fiddly areas, so the features of the Metcal are very well suited to my needs. If your needs are different then it might not be quite as beneficial or worth the cost. One things for sure, I would definitely not pay the full retail price for a Metcal unit as they are overpriced imo.
JBC & WELLER offer a range of micro hand pieces to choose from, smaller lighter, shorter to the tip than what comes as standard with their better stations. Modern marketing overshoots a bit presenting stations as starships in some occasions though.

New Weller WX 2 Soldering Station_english - YouTube
Old 13th October 2012, 12:47 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

Lol that video was something else

I am surprised that it appeared to use a toroidal transformer, I'd have figured it'd be switch mode inside.
Old 13th October 2012, 01:00 AM   #33
diyAudio Chief Moderator

They get complaints with this flagship in particular regarding menu ergonomics and real performance. Now splash hot blobs on that touch screen when on a production bench and cry.
Back to the original question about entry level, Weller simpler classic models are good but long in the tooth for recovery, heft, and tray functionality VS Hakko in its US pricing IMO.
Old 13th October 2012, 01:23 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

I just bought one of the Hakkos (the 888), and it's a nifty iron. It also heats up quickly. I use a Weller WES-51 at work and it's been doing ok, but my one at home died, hence the Hakko. The iron holder for the Hakko is better quality than the Weller, with provisions for both sponge and brass wool as tip cleaners.

Last edited by wrenchone; 13th October 2012 at 01:25 AM.
Old 13th October 2012, 01:43 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Why I went with Weller...

Parts and models are easy to get and plentiful, relatively inexpensive, large number of different tips to chose from, built pretty darned good with good materials, heaters are easily replaced (on most of the newer models -- just check for it) even on the single wattage non-adjusting soldering station ones.

Up here in my parts of Canada, I can't find a Hakko in a store within 70 kilometres.

You could also test drive a friend's soldering iron if there are solderers near you.
Old 14th October 2012, 03:06 PM   #36
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

I was quite happy with a very old Weller with magnastat. One day, I found an old Pace solder-desoldering station for a few Euros. I had incredible feeling of confort with its small iron and, I think, the excellent control of temperature at the tip. However I could not find replacement tips. So I got an 936 Hakko on Ebay but I was a bit disappointed. If I can, I'll return to Pace, an ST25 station with a PS-90 iron will seem to be able to perfectly fit my needs.
Old 14th October 2012, 05:06 PM   #37
diyAudio Chief Moderator

That PACE is double the FX-888 money in US and should worth it given their heavier pro lineage.
Old 14th October 2012, 06:31 PM   #38
diyAudio Member

I vote for the JBC Cd2-bb. Excellent regulation and heat up speed. This is a Station to end the search. I don't consider Pace to be good for plain soldering. And Weller isn't bad but the JBC is simply much better. Mike
Old 14th October 2012, 06:34 PM   #39
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Its about entry level pick between Weller WES51 and Hakko FX-888 in US 80 dollar market though.
Old 21st October 2012, 12:25 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

agold, what iron did you decide upon?

Hide this!Advertise here!