Faulty Dayton WT3... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2012, 04:43 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

It's defaulting to the correct device (windows sounds will even play through the WT3 if there's other things playing)

it will often play the sine sweep through the connected speaker, but simply not measure the specs.

As I said, it worked for about half an hour the other day, then without changing anything, simply stopped working.
Old 29th September 2012, 06:44 AM   #12
sba is offline sba
diyAudio Member

It’s happened to me several times, too.

What worked was a reboot and another five+ minute wait to let it all stabilize.

After five minutes try shorting the leads again. If the plot shows a bunch of hash, then the system has not yet stabilized..

One incident occurred while unwinding and measuring several inductors. It just stopped measuring. Twice I had to stop , reboot, and wait five minutes. I know… a little bit annoying.
Old 29th September 2012, 12:08 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
It’s happened to me several times, too.

What worked was a reboot and another five+ minute wait to let it all stabilize.

After five minutes try shorting the leads again. If the plot shows a bunch of hash, then the system has not yet stabilized..

One incident occurred while unwinding and measuring several inductors. It just stopped measuring. Twice I had to stop , reboot, and wait five minutes. I know… a little bit annoying.
Never had to jump thru those hoops with my WT2, which, BTW, is NOT affiliated in any way with the WT3.
Old 29th September 2012, 01:06 PM   #14
Banned

WT3 is working fine for me
Old 29th September 2012, 01:50 PM   #15
just another
diyAudio Moderator

If you are getting too frustrated with the WT III then I'd suggest downloading REW and making up a simple test cable. It works a treat and gives consistent results I used to use speaker workshop but found REW gives much more accurate results with low mass drivers. I use the Wallin II jig (which has a much lower value resistor than suggested in the REW help file) which works fine. example of measurement done using REW --> SB acoustics SB12MNRX25-4 "full range" Build thread

Tony.
Old 29th September 2012, 03:25 PM   #16
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThyDntWntMusic View Post
it will often play the sine sweep through the connected speaker, but simply not measure the specs.
Did you check to see were Windoze set the record input? Mine seems to NOT like setting it to the WT3, for some strange reason. Output, sure - but not record. Other than that, I've had no problem.
Old 30th August 2013, 12:32 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pano View Post
Did you check to see were Windoze set the record input? Mine seems to NOT like setting it to the WT3, for some strange reason. Output, sure - but not record. Other than that, I've had no problem.
I've plugged it into my desktop again, and failed to get it to give any readings whatsoever!

The little bar graph on the playback device shows its playing a sound, the speaker connected plays that sound.

The bar graph on the record device also shows the input...

I adjusted the levels as it looked like it was clipping... made no difference, the software still shows nothing!
Old 30th August 2013, 03:32 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Hi Thy,

I have written a couple of posts here about Dayton WT3. Please search on my name or the WT3.

The issue is almost always Windows settings related. There is also an issue with Windows 7 that is unique in that incredibly Microsoft crappy way that we have become accustomed to in products out of Redmond.

best
Old 30th August 2013, 04:25 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

My WT3 works for a while and then gives odd results (I noticed when unwinding inductors). I told partsexpress and they sent me out a new one. I took the faulty WT3 apart and resoldered some of the joints and thought i'd fixed it - so sold the new WT3, Only to find it's playing up again .
I now have a WT2 but it's not the easiest thing to use and I still haven't worked out how to measure inductors with it.
I don't know if the new DATS (Dayton Audio Test System) is more reliable, but you'd think it would be.
Old 30th August 2013, 05:22 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmarley View Post
I now have a WT2 but it's not the easiest thing to use and I still haven't worked out how to measure inductors with it.
I don't know if the new DATS (Dayton Audio Test System) is more reliable, but you'd think it would be.
I use my WT2 a lot to measure caps and less frequently, inductors. PM me and I'll send you an article I co-wrote with one of the principles of Smith & Larson Audio. It shows how to set up for cap measurements. Inductors are measured with the same calibration.

Hide this!Advertise here!