WinAudioMLS, A Powerful analyzer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
It looks like it should work. Start with a loopback test from out to in on the sound card and make sure that works OK and does what you would expect. Then add the interface and do the same. Its always better to work up slowly and try various things to know what to expect before connecting to something with power. Running amps at full power can blow lots of things up if not intended.

Also be very careful of the grounding. You aren't using a differential input in the drawing and that can in some cases put a lot of power into the grounding with unexpected and exciting results (been there).

Okay:

Well It's been a few months now since I last posted. I went ahead and committed to Winaudio MLS from Dr. Frank Jordan. It seems to have a software bug pop up once in awhile where the sig gen GUI interacts with the main software. I'll have to email them about that.

Additionally, I purchased Peter Millet's interface box with this.

The sound card I committed to, was the Tascam USB 2x2, which is a pretty decent unit.

Lookin' good so far, but having a heck of a time marrying all this together. I blew out one of the op-amps on the test interface by probably a ground issue, so gotta get that fixed.

Does anyone have experience using this software with Mr. Millets interface box, that may be able to assist? I have several questions.

Aram

Good questions Aram.

I'm still considering about the whole chain. For adc/dac it will be either JensH/Juli/UR22 and as a secondary adc I have as well Acko's 9102 which will make duties in both vinyl ripping and measurement.

I have also kept my eyes open for input interfaces - maybe it will be Petes. Maybe something new someone else blesses the world with:)

Software for hobby or educational purposes seems to be of low quality - the efforts made seems to have died. To bad VA analyzer suddenly went of the grid - It looked promising. One can of course pay for WinAudioMLS and get subsets for quite ok money but buy the whole software sends one back almost 200€... To much for hobby.

Regads

Thank you Gentleman:

@Demian: Yes I already blew out an op amp in the interface because of the grounding.. Pete's interface has ground lifts, and is a quasi isolated circuit. He built it for just this purpose, but I am having to get used to the very small signal levels this whole system is built around to accommodate the sound card. At least that didn't get damaged, so it full filled it's purpose, although the interface cost more than the soundcard. :))

Turbon: Yes, I put some dollars into this, because this is for my business, and an AP systems is way too expensive. I have to say the loopback test seems to be dead on specs with a THD clocking about .003%. I still have yet to install the ASIO driver to get the noise floor into the -100's.

Having said all of this, now it comes to using the software.. It's not very user friendly, but it is the best of what I found for the price. Dr. Frank seems to be in tune with his product too, so that is good. I love the easy test feature, and am looking forward to testing some pro-audio crossovers for a customer so I can hand him the graphs, and he can see why his drivers keep blowing... SO I am new to using soundcards, and the millet interface has a max output of 1Vrms at full scale to accommodate the sound card. Man, that sure seems low, but it is what it is, and **appears** to be working. I am having calibrating the system. I have no clue where to start. The scope feature on Winaudio has no voltage readings.. just DB, so I don't know how to calibrate. Any have experience or recommend how to calibrate the sound card?

Aram

Aram, one step at the time. To get higher output an amp is needed and surely there are folks around to either pinpoint a commercial one or find schematics for the very best Diy amp fulfilling the need of an instrumentation amplifier working in the range of attenuator thru buffer to an voltage amplifier.

Yes, see pmillets as a preamp - buffer.

Too bad there wasn't time to persuade Alfredo to GPL his code before the silence but the VA is still available at sillaniumsoft.org... With it's pros and cons.

Regards

Last edited:
I have just build my sound card interface from Pete, bought a Roland card and want to start measuring...but not sire which software to use. ease of usage is certainly important...so how would you rate

- WinAudioMLS vs.
- Arta vs.
- Audiotester vs.
- ???

Thx for your advise...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.