Planer Doesn't Plane Flat - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2012, 02:47 AM   #1
xxbaker is offline xxbaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Planer Doesn't Plane Flat

I recently purchased a Bosch PL1682 so I could make the sides of my cabinets perfectly flat. I've watched plenty of videos and spent quite a bit of time with the planer but I can't for the life of my get it to plane anything remotely well

The flat guides on the bottom don't seem to match up with each other and the right side seems to dig deeper than the left side so it cuts at a very slight angle so that multiple passes will create a series of waves and sharp dips/raises in the wood.

I'm scratching my head as to how this thing is supposed to work. Any tips/suggestions on how I'm setting this up wrong or doing this wrong? Every video looks absolutely effortless and in my experience it's anything but. Maybe this model is terrible? Or perhaps mine is defective? Thanks for the help!
Old 9th September 2012, 03:03 AM   #2
expert in tautology
diyAudio Member

Yours may well be defective.

If you have read the instructions carefully about set up, and followed them, I'd inquire of the company (assuming they have a means to communicate) and failing a solution there, return it under warranty, or to the store for replacement.

The blades do need to be properly cut and fit into the spinning chuck thing (whatever they call it), and the bed and guides need to be properly level - and if adjustable, properly set...

I don't know this particular planer at all...

_-_-bear
Old 9th September 2012, 03:11 AM   #3
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

In your time with the planer, have you checked the position of the blades in the cutter head? Your description makes it sound as though the unit was not purchased new from the factory.

Is this the case?
Old 10th September 2012, 12:21 AM   #4
bill_a is offline bill_a  United States
diyAudio Member

xxbaker -
Sorry to disappoint, but hand-held power planers are notoriously poor at creating a flat surface, especially with multiple passes. They follow whatever surface is there to begin with, within the length and width of the base. If the base or knives are not perfectly aligned, you'll just end up making matters worse. And even when everything is really closely aligned, you'll still have to sand the h*** out of it to get it looking nice.

BTW, Bosch makes the best hand-held power tools, so you did purchase a good tool. Its just that hand-held power planers are really meant for cleaning up door edges and such, not making wide boards flat and smooth. People do try to use them for that, but that was never the original intent of the tool.

Just a little advise from a woodworker,
Bill
Old 10th September 2012, 03:30 AM   #5
xxbaker is offline xxbaker  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the advice and help everyone. I did buy it new so it's possible I can get it fixed/replaced under warranty if it isn't working correctly.

That being said I'm going to check the blade maybe it's not put in correctly or lined up. I checked the base it a straightedge and it looks to be quite flat so I'm guessing the blade isn't aligned correctly.

Perhaps I just need to get the right tool for the job as Bill has suggested, but maybe I can get this working well enough with some minor adjustments.

Thanks again for the help I'll try to check back when I figure out anything else.
Old 10th September 2012, 03:37 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_a View Post
xxbaker -
Sorry to disappoint, but hand-held power planers are notoriously poor at creating a flat surface, especially with multiple passes. They follow whatever surface is there to begin with, within the length and width of the base. If the base or knives are not perfectly aligned, you'll just end up making matters worse. And even when everything is really closely aligned, you'll still have to sand the h*** out of it to get it looking nice.

BTW, Bosch makes the best hand-held power tools, so you did purchase a good tool. Its just that hand-held power planers are really meant for cleaning up door edges and such, not making wide boards flat and smooth. People do try to use them for that, but that was never the original intent of the tool.

Just a little advise from a woodworker,
Bill
Exactly so...to get a large surface flat it must be referenced to a flat surface of similar width and length. The job you are attempting would ideally be done with a jointer and/or a stationary planer. The other option is to develop a high level of skill with well tuned hand planes and scrapers and do it like the 18th century cabinetmakers. The tool you are using is fine for trimming door edges but will take you in the wrong direction for producing wide flat surfaces.
Old 14th September 2012, 05:23 PM   #7
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

I have to laugh. Not at you but with you as I can totally relate. Simple tip is don't try to plane anything wider than the blade. You just get yourself in trouble and end up running for the sander.

Hide this!Advertise here!