Recommend good accurate digital multimeter? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2012, 08:35 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Almost necro-posting but anyways, I STRONGLY recommend the Uni-T UT61E.
The specs:
  • Auto-Ranging (and pretty dang fast at it too)
  • TrueRMS
  • 22,000 Count (not 6,000 count like my 116)
  • 0.1% DC voltage accuracy (across the whole range)
  • 0.8%(45-1kHz) or 1.2%(1kHz-10kHz) AC Voltage accuracy
  • 0.5% Resistance accuracy
  • 3.0% Capacitance accuracy
  • 0.01% frequency accuracy (10Hz-220Mhz)
  • Continuity test is pretty much instantaneous.
This meter will cost you around $50 shipped and is by far the best value for the price. The thing is SOLID, when I say solid I mean better than the Fluke 116 I use in my chemistry lab. Though truthfully, that 116 is kind of disappointing both inside and out. I was looking for a decent meter as a hobbyist and I came across this meter when browsing EEVBlog forums. In general the reviews were that it was well built and seemed OK. I decided to get it. Since then, ppl have discovered how good of a value this meter is.

For example I decided to put this meter through its paces using some 0.1% resistors and some caps I had laying around. Link

The resistors consistently showed an error of around 0.25-0.3% low, meaning that this meter could theoretically be adjusted to a much tighter accuracy.

The downsides are that sometimes the probes have a layer of film on them that messes with readings. Supposedly, some isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) removes the film.
Old 11th October 2012, 03:55 PM   #12
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

I purchased a used HP 3478A, on eBay, although it is old, it functions nicely for a 5-1/2 digit DMM. Flule 8050A is also nice if you need lower resolution.
The Uni-T UT61E sounds okay as well but it is not that accurate. Depends on your needs

regards
Rick
Old 12th October 2012, 09:47 AM   #13
akis is offline akis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGH View Post
Hi, I did a search on this forum looking for DMM that would suit my needs, but haven't been lucky. I need an accurate meter that can measure capacitance up to at least 1000 microF (although higher would be better) in addition to inductance, voltage, and resistance. I always hear about Fluke, but there are so many models. I would appreciate if you can provide an exact make and model (links to the sellar would be helpful). Thank you.
I have bought this for caps and inductors because it has special circuitry to measure low and high range caps and inductors. I think its oscillator reaches 800KHz or more.

LC200A Inductance Inductor Capacitance Capacitor L/C Multimeter Meter Tester | eBay
Old 12th October 2012, 05:01 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
I purchased a used HP 3478A, on eBay, although it is old, it functions nicely for a 5-1/2 digit DMM. Flule 8050A is also nice if you need lower resolution.
The Uni-T UT61E sounds okay as well but it is not that accurate. Depends on your needs

regards
Rick
For a handheld its pretty accurate. It compares favorably with most fluke hand-helds (excluding the 87V and 287 types)and it has already been well tested on its ability to meet its specs and stay within spec (for over a year which is what most manufacturers limit their calibration range to). While the Uni-T isn't quite as good as those two mentioned meters, it matches the resolution of the Fluke. True the fluke, if calibrated, gets down to 0.03% accuracy but find a calibrated one for as cheap as the Uni-T which comes from the factory in spec.

For one that matches the Fluke specs in your price range check out the Mastech MS8218. It has a huge variation in prices I have seen as cheap as $120 and as expensive as $270, all for the same device.

It's 0.03% accuracy, 50,000 count, TrueRMS etc.
Old 24th October 2012, 06:52 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Get a DMM that's auto ranging and with a big read out so when you have your hands in a high voltage circuit, you can read it without fireworks. I'd recommend a seperate cap/inductor meter because they don't get used that much. The cheap Radio Shack meters work great and last about 5 to 10 yrs. There will be times when you need 2 meters and these work nicely. I've had good luck... I'm sure not everyone will agree.........
Old 24th October 2012, 07:17 PM   #16
6speed is offline 6speed  United States
diyAudio Member

I found this site to be helpful in narrowing the Fluke line, they have a nice table with features compared across the line:

Fluke Digital Multimeters - Test Equipment Depot

I have no affiliation with this site. I have ordered a few things from them over the years, each time delivery seems to take longer than expected, but sometimes they have the best prices and they are responsive and polite if emailed etc. I have a Fluke 115 and am very happy with it FWIW.
Old 24th October 2012, 08:03 PM   #17
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akis View Post
I have bought this for caps and inductors because it has special circuitry to measure low and high range caps and inductors. I think its oscillator reaches 800KHz or more.

LC200A Inductance Inductor Capacitance Capacitor L/C Multimeter Meter Tester | eBay
Does it do ESR?
Old 25th October 2012, 02:11 PM   #18
akis is offline akis  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salas View Post
Does it do ESR?
If it does I'd be very pleasantly surprised.

Hide this!Advertise here!