Direct competitor for Clio V10 ? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd June 2013, 09:20 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb Firewire PCMCIA Express IEEE 1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post

I need a portable laptop to run ClioFW/Windows/Firewire standard connector (old?)

But... need standard IEEE 1394 Firewire port to feel confident to buy, and now know that Firewire uses more than one type of plug.

Cheers, Joe
Hello Joe,

I have use these Adapter cards for Years for portable measurement with analyzers for some other things an they works flawlessly under W7 x64 (my case) on three different 17'' Lenovo notebooks and are fare better than orig. inst. on motherboard, they use Ti Chip, none inst. necessary, only plug it into a slot, (hot swap) and it works in a second.

- The most import. thing for fire-wire connection to function is:
DEINSTALL ALL MS garbage & Junk soft from the comp, close all services not needed and add a 1394a process to highest priority !!!

Min 2.core Proc, min 4, best 8GB RAM

If You Must use the comp for other things also frequently than make at least 2 user accounts and let it be the second - (MEASUREMENT) ONLY !! Please apply here all previously mentioned steps, and make You or ( Measurement) account - a full Admin. priority and use ur Meas. Syst. under full advanced (user - admin) properties ALWAYS (run as as administrator) and You'll work like charm !

If You want to work and not jocking than:

Don't buy a fancy look crap Acer or many other fancy super ultra light crap mini laptops !
Instead go to some local computer guru who each 2.yrs. replace the HiQ - engineered Lenovo WorkHorse Laptops in some fancy bankers or some other bureaucracy firms with the latest top models and get one 2.yrs. used
for a cheapo and You'll never look back or even regret !
For the money saved this way please make ur dearest some nice & tasteful dinners in some nice place You know they're do an You'll win win.....

Please see here You can order the best adapter 1394 Cards:

1. Firewire PCMCIA Express IEEE 1394

or for older laptops:

2. PCMCIA PC CardBus to FireWire IEEE 1394

Hope You'll begin work sooner before You become a $$ Golden Retriever

cheers:

Andreas:
Old 23rd June 2013, 11:06 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Any MacBook Pro will do the job. Converting Firewire 800 to Firewire 400 is just getting a cable with 800 at one end & 400 at the other end. The newest MacBooks have Thunderbolt ports, an adaptor to Firewire is available from Apple and no one has had compatibility issues
Thunderbolt is a superset of Firewire/Display Port/USB/PCIe.
dave
Thanks Dave. That is exactly what I needed to know. I feel a lot more confident now. Yes, I noticed the missing optical drive too. But have an nice compact external one that I use with my Acer 13" laptop.

Thanks again... Cheers, Joe

PS: Found what looks like a Russian website re Clio on Macs, hit the translate button, and that seems to confirm exactly what you said in their somewhat broken English... good one.
Old 28th June 2013, 12:10 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave

Bought MacBook Pro MD102X/A.

I also have a copy of Windows 8 but worried to break the seal as I know Clio FW works with Windows 7, but now find that Win8 Firewire support may not be up to it?

Cheers, Joe
Old 28th June 2013, 12:19 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley 09 View Post
- The most import. thing for fire-wire connection to function is:
DEINSTALL ALL MS garbage & Junk soft from the comp, close all services not needed and add a 1394a process to highest priority !!!

Min 2.core Proc, min 4, best 8GB RAM

If You Must use the comp for other things also frequently than make at least 2 user accounts and let it be the second - (MEASUREMENT) ONLY !! Please apply here all previously mentioned steps, and make You or ( Measurement) account - a full Admin. priority and use ur Meas. Syst. under full advanced (user - admin) properties ALWAYS (run as as administrator) and You'll work like charm !

Hi Andreas

Some great info there, much appreciated. Some of it will be used even though I went the MacBook Pro way and will do a dual install. Dave is a Mac guy and it will please him I went the Mac way.

But that way I will have a laptop that can do all the things I need to do with it.

But the Windows setup, I will do a special Clio only user account and priority exactly the way you say. That is very good advice.

Had anybody tried Windows 8 with Clio FW?

Yes, Win 7/64bit will work, but if Win8 does too, then I would prefer it. I also have an unsealed version of Win8, but don't want to break the seal, as I can exchange it for Win7/64bit.

But thanks for your detailed reply and appreciated.

Cheers, Joe
Old 28th June 2013, 12:30 AM   #35
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Rasmussen View Post
have a copy of Windows 8 but worried to break the seal as I know Clio FW works with Windows 7
Around here people are staying away from Windows 8. I'd take yours back and trade it in on W7.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!