Direct competitor for Clio V10 ? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2012, 02:18 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Joe, maybe you should give Clio people the url for this adapter and have them look at it. They might even buy it and test it as it is so cheap.
It doesn't work for video because the data isn't transferred on Firewire like on USB. I'm not an expert on that but maybe just plain data might work but needs an OK from Clio people.
Old 11th December 2012, 08:50 AM   #12
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

While I like some feature sets CLIO has and the ease to calibrate the system to absolute value I'd share some of my experience on the stability of CLIO FW

I have the Clio 10 FW setup at work, but the FW interface is an issue even without the USB->FW conversion.

I have tested on 2 different desktop PC-s with on board FW controller, 2 different PCI interface FW controllers, a few laptops and PCMCIA/PCcard FW controllers. Depending on card and operating system the success ratio varies. But in general at least for me it has been the experience that you need to try at least 2..3 different FW controllers before you get one that creates almost stable setup for CLIO FW.

One "trick" that CLIO does not document is same as some soundcard manufacturers suggest - to use "Legacy" FW driver
Support - Frequently Asked Questions | Echo Digital Audio

This has helped me to get things more stable on most systems.

What I have to mention also is that I run not only short chirps or MLS, but also need to run sine signal and spectrum for longer periods - and thats where I have most problems. Quite often output starts chopping due to data buffering or such and ruins the test. Only fix is to unplug/replug CLIO and restart software.

Ergo
Old 11th December 2012, 12:00 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Joe Rasmussen
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashok View Post
Joe, maybe you should give Clio people the url for this adapter and have them look at it.. needs an OK from Clio people.
Still no reply from them. But I can't make them do it. Maybe I can get one sent to them? That way they may be more cooperative?

I sent a message via eBay to the supplier http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIXES-Fir...:X:RTQ:GB:1123 and got the following answer a minute ago:

morning,

yes this item will work fine to convert the usb port.

What do you think?

My question to them was:

Does this turn a USB 2.0 port (or USB 3.0 port) into a fully functioning IEEE 1394 port on my PC notebook. It seems the only way to connect an expensive 'Finewire' audio analyser to my portable computer (PC and definitely not Apple). Awaiting your answer, Rgds Joe

I have ordered and paid for it (PayPal). Not expensive to try myself and it will be quicker.

Cheers, Joe

Last edited by Joe Rasmussen; 11th December 2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11th December 2012, 12:04 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergo View Post

I have the Clio 10 FW setup at work, but the FW interface is an issue even without the USB->FW conversion.
Hi Ergo

So you have tried USB - FW adaptors? Which ones?

Cheers, Joe
Old 11th December 2012, 04:30 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Joe, it looks like Ergo didn't use a USB to Firewire converter. The laptop one was a PCMCIA Firewire adapter and the desktop was a PCI Firewire card. So no USB to Firewire conversion there.

The reply to you from eBay doesn't sound convincing at all. However you are right. Since it is cheap , buying it and trying it is faster than getting a conclusive response from anyone.

This issue of operation with different Firewire sockets is worrisome !
Old 11th December 2012, 06:22 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Right - I have not tried USB to FW solutions. Issues with all the dedicated FW interfaces has created me enough grief so I have not felt so adventurous.

Search for professional studio soundcard firewire problems / solutions does indicate some that people have had more luck with. Generally TI chipsets are better regarded, but I have not found any on PCI or PCcard interfaces - only motherboard embedded on some few brands.

Most add on's use VIA chipsets (at least ones I get in Estonia). With those I have partial luck, but I have at least one desktop PC where I've tried few different and got none working stable enough. And as typical that's one of the PC's I would like to use it on.

So I'm afraid also that only way is trial and error and with some luck it will be not so long process. Just be aware that if there are isses with clicks / cracks or CLIO software failing to see the hardware then it's probably the FW interface as the cause. At least from my experience.
Old 11th December 2012, 06:26 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

One aspect I wish that would be working on CLIO FW is that it could allow other software to use it as ASIO soundcard. It does list it as ASIO soundcard under other audio softwares, but sadly it does not work. Would be so nice to be able to use it with ARTA for example. I'd use CLIO software to set input gain and then something else for some measurements....
Old 12th January 2013, 12:19 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Not getting any replies from Audiomatica, and the USB/Firewire adaptor just doesn't work and I now realise that it can't because Clio would need to install drivers to enable it.

I think they will eventually be forced to do something. Might send them an email once every month to remind them.
Old 12th January 2013, 12:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

This is a troubling situation if there is a problem with different Firewire implementations. Clio V10 seems to be selling well so we should have been hearing more complaints ? Or are they posted on other forums ?

Clio is well designed I think as it's easy to use and produces repeatable accuracy. Hope this Firewire issue is resolved soon.
Old 13th January 2013, 08:23 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Well, the solution is to ditch Firewire in favour of USB and USB2.0 does do 24/192.

My main computer is not the problem. If it does not have Firewire, just plug in a card.

But new portable computers have ditched Firewire.

Hide this!Advertise here!