Help with ARTA Software - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th September 2012, 10:44 AM   #51
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidave View Post
I thought I would add to this post by sharing this link about an active notch filter. There is quite a bit of discussion about ARTA use. Also, the other articles are great too.

Active Twin-T notch filter
The author and designer of this filter Dick Moore is a member of this forum. He has a post here discussing his filter: Build -- Active Twin-T notch filter for distortion analysis

I agree, there is a lot of useful information here. In fact, it was his website that sparked my interest in using ARTA and sound cards for spectral analysis. I plan to build his filter sometime soon.
Old 20th September 2012, 11:10 AM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFNY View Post
On many of these sound cards, the generator (DAC) is not as good as the ADC. Usually performance can be improved with a good external low distortion sine generator. HP339A, Tek SG505, etc.

Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th element View Post
Apart from consistency one thing that is important in high resolution measurements is making sure that everything is connected in a way that will keep ground loops at bay. This shouldn't be too much of an issue with a laptop and external USB interface though as the whole thing can be battery operated and thus floating and create no loops.
Ok, I have "played" around with some of the above suggestions.

I found out that my laptop generates a lot of noise with connected to the AC source. Pulling the AC jack and conducting ARTA test on battery only produce some great results in THD and THD+Noise.

As suggested by BFNY, I also got better results from my HP239 Generator.

1. The first screen grab is my setup using Hp239 to E-MU-204 to Dell Laptop (AC/DC) supply connected. The results are to not pretty.

2. The next screen grab is the same setup but with the laptop on battery power. Big difference, but I still see some 60 Hz & 180 Hz artifacts.

3. The last screen grab Laptop on battery power and Low frequency cut-off set at 400hz. This trick I found playing around with ARTA. This really improved the THD + Noise figure by ignoring the AC artifacts I assume are from overhead lights or the HP239.

I also found that my wife's Toshiba Laptop produced even poorer results both with AC/DC connected and on battery.

So everything in the setup including the PC/Laptop can impact the results. I wonder if there are laptops that are manufactured with better shielding and power supplies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EMU204 plus HP239 at 0dB AC power.jpg (234.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg EMU204 plus HP239 at 0dB Battery.jpg (216.9 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg EMU204 plus HP239 at 0dB Low cut-off 400.jpg (236.4 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by dennismiller55; 20th September 2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 21st September 2012, 12:59 AM   #53
skidave is offline skidave  United States
diyAudio Member

Dennis, I'm going to mess around with my ARTA this weekend and see if I can tweak it a bit more. My Tascam USB interface does not perform nearly as well as your E-MU. I'll post some pictures of my results. Also, I'm going to set the LFcut-off to 400hz as well and see what difference I get.

FWIW, I always use my laptops on battery when using this and any other analysis software.

Dave
Old 23rd September 2012, 07:29 PM   #54
skidave is offline skidave  United States
diyAudio Member

Here are my results. Images are labeled with details. This is best I can get out of this Tascam US-100:

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!