diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   Hantek DSO1060 or any alternatives?! (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/216090-hantek-dso1060-any-alternatives.html)

dtses 13th July 2012 02:12 PM

Hantek DSO1060 or any alternatives?!

cheers,

looking for a 1st scope, know not much about them, just as it should be >50Mhz, two channels, portable. Will be used for reparing/ upgrading Amps & CDs.

Accoring to various reviews Hantek DSO1060 looks to be quite decent. Should I look for some other portable models in this price range?

PChi 13th July 2012 02:37 PM

I have an ancient analogue Oscilloscope which is OK for audio.
The Hantek doesn't appear to have co-axial BNC input connectors which is a drawback.
There are other options like Rigol Digital Oscilloscopes,Waveform Generators, Multimeters, Spectrum Analyzers and you could look at the EEVBlog at EEVblog for other ideas.

dtses 16th July 2012 07:44 AM

thanks!

All Rigols look to be huge, not portable for sure.

Not much about this Hantek on EEVblog, though I found another model that could be considered:

-OWON HDS2062M

Frex 16th July 2012 08:40 AM

Hi dtses,

but why do you need very small and portable device for test and repare Amp and CD player ?
I really don't think that a Rigol DS1052 is an huge oscilloscope for a lab bench ;)

Frex

PChi 16th July 2012 09:15 AM

I haven't any experience of using hand-held Oscilloscopes though I believe they are useful for field service particularly having battery power.

I guess that the size and weight issue depends on perspective. I remember using Valve Oscilloscopes when a Scope Cart was a very useful accessory because it was only just about physically possible to lift one single handed. So all modern Oscilloscopes look small and light to me. Also I hate small buttons having worked on Mobile Phones so I prefer a larger unit.

It's also difficulty to judge what is best without actually trying a unit out. There are many unwritten performance issues like inter channel cross talk and trigger sensitivity that I have found to be an issue on brand name Oscilloscopes.
Oscilloscopes are also useful for looking at digital waveforms like I2C and I2S buses where memory depth / aquisition time length is very useful.

dtses 16th July 2012 12:15 PM

found one interesting topic about Hantek portable scopes here.
Perhaps, DSO8060 could be a good alternative too, not sure if I need this prebuilt arbitrary waveform generator though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frex (Post 3093861)
Hi dtses,

but why do you need very small and portable device for test and repare Amp and CD player ?
I really don't think that a Rigol DS1052 is an huge oscilloscope for a lab bench ;)

Frex

indeed, Rigol looks to be quite portable in comparison to old school scopes.

Well, Rigol could be considered as well as frankly speaking I don't have any reasonable explanations why do I need a small device :) Simply it should be portable to use it at home, perhaps outside as well or any other possible situation where it could be used. Main target is the audio stuff, repairs/ upgrades. Of course, I'm not aiming at some ultra tiny mobile device like DSO203 which is hardly to name a scope at all according to various reviews in the net.

Anyway this would be a 1st scope bearing in mind that I don't know how to use it :rolleyes: Hence I guess no need for 200Mhz, expensive name like Fluke, some features that could be highly regarded only by professionals...

Initially I was aiming at UNI-T UT81B then realised that buying a tool that is not adequately precise, limited by 10 MHz brandwidth and being only one channel device is not a good idea even for a newbie in scopes...

FdW 16th July 2012 07:47 PM

Maybe you should consider Rigol DS2102 High quality 2 channel DSO with 100 MHz bandwidth, 2 GSa/s and 14 Mpts memory depth(1), it offers up to 14bit vertical resolution (that is why I am considering it :) )

dtses 17th July 2012 08:59 AM

so I decided to stay with

- hantek DSO8060
- ovon HDS2062M

Over has better display and higher resolution (640x480), though lacks waveform generator and has only 6k of memory depth, while Hantek has 32k(!). How crucial is that and what does that memory affect on?

PChi 17th July 2012 05:09 PM

I don't know how crucial the memory limitation is. It just depends on what is being viewed.

The effect of memory depth is:-
1/ To look in detail at a section of an acquired waveform it's useful to change the time base setting to expand the part of the waveform of interest. It's only possible to view the stored samples so with 6k of memory versus 32 k the time base expansion possible is less.

2/ The sample rate will be varied to fit the screen width.
The Owon appears to have 12 horizontal divisions giving 500 samples per division.
The maximum sample rate is 250 Mega Samples / s.
250 Mega Samples / 500 samples = 0.5 micro seconds. So for time bases < 0.5 us / div it will reduce the sample rate so that it acquires a full screen width. This can cause aliasing when something like amplifier instability is being viewed.

FredJM 15th November 2012 05:15 AM

Just a word of caution -
My Hantek DSO1060 worked beautifully for about a year - never used it much - probably about 50 hours total..
Then it just started to go wrong - never recognised the power switch (could not turn it off manually) then It failed to turn on reliably, then other keys started to fail.. I did a full reset as specified by the distributor, but this never fixed things - now it is completely dead.
Out of warranty, there seem to be quite a few people who have similar problems, and not much in the way of solutions - Trying to find where to send this for repair..
Its excellent value at 300 if it lived a little longer - But from now on I will be buying 2nd hand scopes from the likes of Tektronic.. I have a Gould DSO and a Phillips bench 'scope which have behaved themselves for 10 years with no trouble, and use Tek 'scopes all the time.. I needed a good portable, and the DSO1060 fitted the requirements and budget - however, I was counting on a few years service from it.