Just bought Aoyue 936, now what solder to buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just bought the Aoyue 936 solder station, and now I need some solder to use with it. Can anyone recommend me some nice solder thats good to be used on soldering electronics. My first project is the O2 headphone amp, and things like that will be the main thing I need solder for.

Would be nice if you could give me a link to ebay with the solder you reccomend.

Thanks!

make sure you buy something to keep the tip clean and shiny, regularly tin the tip, look after it as its the only one you are going to get, theres no way afaik to change the element in the iron, or have they changed this? I have them some pretty harsh feedback about that

make sure you buy something to keep the tip clean and shiny, regularly tin the tip, look after it as its the only one you are going to get, theres no way afaik to change the element in the iron, or have they changed this? I have them some pretty harsh feedback about that

Package content:

936 station
B001 Soldering iron
2630 Soldering iron holder
C001 Soldering iron spare heating element.

Also bought an extra tip:
Aoyue T-SI Conical Type Solder Tip for 936 937+ 768 968 | eBay

I have the little wet sponge, I give the tip a quick swipe before AND after use.

*The hot rosin is corrosive, so having the tip clean while it sits there idle makes them last much longer.

Every once in a while I lightly sand the rest of the tip when it gets all black, it keeps dirt from migrating down to the tip.

the wet sponge is not a good idea, it cycles the temperature and oxidized the tip, which is the enemy, the brass wool cleaner will make your tips last much longer

Who cares if it cycles the temp, you sound silly.:rolleyes:

Brass wool cleaner does not make your tips last longer, because the hot rosin is constantly oxidizing the tip. I promise.

A wet sponge is all you need.

I've used both sponge and brass wool- the brass wool seems to be a bit more effective, but they're both fine. For a decent soldering iron, the temperature recovery is pretty fast (seconds) so I wouldn't worry about that.

For solder, 60/40 is good, 63/37 is even better, and a 2% silver solder (rosin core in all cases) will give you super-looking joints and not leach silver from components that have silver-bearing terminations.

Second 63/37 true eutectic tin lead, best to practise on as it flows easy. 2% silver (Tin/Lead/Silver) is what I use, as I have a great big real of it from a project that required silver solder, gives nice shiny joints.
If you do SMD though solder choice can depend on components and terminal finish, a lot of new components are matt tin, for reflow tin lead on these components is not as good as using a lead free solder.

I've used WBT -0820 which has silver content. It flows very well. However, the price has just exploded... Still I tried another eutectic (sp?) solder and have not been as happy, it tends to stick to the tip more and pull the puddle as you remove the iron. The WBT flows very well, making smooth neat joints.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.