What do you use to fill screw holes in wood? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2012, 05:20 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default What do you use to fill screw holes in wood?

I tried wood putty and that didn't work. Any suggestions?
Old 25th April 2012, 05:24 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

mix sawdust from said wood with wood glue. The color with match.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:19 AM   #3
Lavcat is offline Lavcat  United States
diyAudio Member

When I last built a speaker enclosure, which was close to fifty years ago, the answer was you don't use screws. What you use is dowels.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:38 AM   #4
jerryo is offline jerryo  Isle of Man
diyAudio Member

It will depend on whether you are going to finish the boxes in wood or paint them or veneer them.
If you want to keep the wood finish, then you can get a "plug cutter" which cuts a short dowel shape from a piece of scrap wood that you use to plug the top of the countersunk screw. This is tapped into the hole with glue and then sanded flush. You can align the grain of the wood if you are careful.
Old 25th April 2012, 07:53 AM   #5
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

I sometimes buy wooden plugs which I glue into the countersunk holes, then trim flush using the router. When Home Depot was out of stock of those, I bought a length of dowel, and cut off pieces as required. I countersink the screws using a "screwdigger" which simultaneously drills a pilot hole and countersink.
Old 25th April 2012, 08:05 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I planned on filling the holes, sanding the area down, and just simply painting the wood (no veneering or anything).

Is there a youtube video of filling the with wooden plugs and countersinking holes? im not a woodworking guy and I don't exactly know what that is.
Old 25th April 2012, 08:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The advantage of using a plug cutter is that you can choose areas of grain from scrapped bits of timber that you are using to obtain a close colour and grain match. It is never perfect, but if the timber that you are using has a subtle grain then the results can be very good.
Old 25th April 2012, 08:16 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

If you are going to paint the boxes then as long as the screw holes have been sufficiently countersunk I would use some 2-pack wood filler which is essentially the same as car body filler. If you already have some of that then use it. It is dimensionally stable and sands to a very good finish. There are "easy sand" versions of this which helps a lot. Always use a cork block or similar for the sanding down process.
Old 25th April 2012, 09:52 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

If you have used plain steel wood screws change these to bright/zinc plated before filling as any hint of rust will eventually lift the filler . I have used car body filler .
Old 25th April 2012, 10:49 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I watched a youtube video on watching dowels to fill screw holes but I have one question. After hammering in the dowel and breaking it, are you able to sand off the rest to make it smooth?

Hide this!Advertise here!