Any opinions on this table saw for loudspeaker building? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2012, 06:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Any opinions on this table saw for loudspeaker building?

After spending the weekend building a fairly loudspeaker with a circular saw I am not eager to repeat that experience. I was thinking about picking up this table saw:

10 in. 15-Amp Compact Job Site Table Saw-DW745 at The Home Depot

Decent price, good reviews on home depot but I'm sure none of these guys are using this to build speakers. Any opinions on how well this would work on speaker box design? Especially large ones?
Old 24th April 2012, 06:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

A few years ago (12) I took a " how to make your own kitchen cabinets" course at a local college. I bought a cheap Craftex 10" 2HP 220volt cast Iron table saw ($600) with rollers on the stand. I have used it and abused it and abused it some more over the years and it is still running fine. If I was a cabinet maker it wouldn't be good enough. My brother has a cabinetmakers Delta something or other that he bought used. The Delta is a fantastic saw compared to mine, but the Delta fills half of his basement, he has extra large feed in and out tables so he can cut large sheets and boards without needing rollers. I fine tuned the Craftex saw and you should fine tune any table saw and found some very inexpensive surplus carbide blades over the years. I am pleased with the saw. With a small saw, small table and small fence, cutting large sheets will be a problem. With practice you will get better. I noticed the maximun width is 16" on the fence on the saw you were looking at. If you have the space an inexpensive table saw is better than a small portable saw. Unless of course you need a portable saw too!
Old 24th April 2012, 07:05 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I'm not worried about the 16" rip fence on the saw since if I need larger than 16" I'll measure in the other direction and just cut along the line. Anything else I need to look at?
Old 24th April 2012, 07:06 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have a Bosch TS...portable and comes with the wheel thingy to push around...its great, but let me tell you....get the biggest freaking thing you can find with a really good fence. Lowes carries a Porter Cable and it is perfect. Might too much for your budget...around 500. Not portable though.
Old 24th April 2012, 07:31 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

My advise would be to try again with the circular saw. In particular a track saw. Specifically a Festool. I think you'll find it easier than a table saw for speaker building.
Old 25th April 2012, 08:06 AM   #6
dangus is offline dangus  Canada
diyAudio Member

If you don't have a router, get one. My strategy is to make rough cuts (oversized) with the Skilsaw, then trim to size with a router, using a straightedge or matching panel as a guide.
Old 26th April 2012, 03:47 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

More discussion on this general topic at "What tools do I need to cut perfectly straight edges with a circular saw?" < www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/210978-what-tools-do-i-need-cut-perfectly-straight-edges-circular-saw-2.html >.

Dale
Old 27th April 2012, 09:55 PM   #8
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

I find the small saws scare me to death. Good straight edge and a skill saw, then router. I eventually bought a real table saw, jointer, planer.......
Old 17th June 2012, 03:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I've used the Dewalt on the job site and it's a nice little saw. What I would recommend would be to build a solid 'outfeed table' to go behind the saw, especially when you're cutting up sheet goods like mdf/ply it really increases the safety and ease of use of your saw. Those contractor saws are essentially made for cutting 3/4" material of any kind, they don't have the horses to cut hardwood over 1" thick or so, but can chop up panels all day.

There's a Ridgid TS I've owned before as well, once again it's a back of the truck kind of saw, but it was a champ and I believe it's $100-200 less than the dewalt, might give you some extra money for a new router or something...
Old 17th June 2012, 03:55 PM   #10
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion916 View Post
I'm not worried about the 16" rip fence on the saw since if I need larger than 16" I'll measure in the other direction and just cut along the line. Anything else I need to look at?
That's what I thought, but it's quite hard to get the line perfectly true to the saw blade at the start, and once you hit the blade you can't skew the wood to get it back on track.

Also manhandling large sheets of wood on the table is difficult. I'm now considering making some kind of long fence I can put on sheets and use the hand circular saw and sell the table saw. The table saw would probably be OK for small speakers, but still the fence on mine (which is a midrange one) is quite poor at staying to 90 degrees.

Hide this!Advertise here!