Seek oscilloscope recommendation ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hello ;)

I'm currently considering buying an oscilloscope that combines:

- being small
- has a ~40 MHz range and also
- includes a software package that allows me to make e.g. FFT, bandwidth, and distortion analyses on the PC.
- Furthermore it must be able to track low frequency signals down to 1 Hz reliably.
- I will be using high voltages (up to 700 volts) so it's preferred that it can work with these voltages.

The oscilloscope & software should be rugged and work reliably - and I have a preference for second hand devices due to price.

Any of you know if it's realistic to find such a scope below ~ USD 200?

I'd appreciate any insights from you here at Diyaudio on good oscilloscopes for audio.

Greetings,

Jesper

Thanks for pointing out the OWON +SDS series. They look useful. I only have an analogue Oscilloscope and low frequency traces don't look good. It's difficult to see the waveform on it as the dot traces slowly across the screen.

I don't think that FFT plots on most Oscilloscopes are useful for audio because the vertical resolution is limited to typically 8 bits (48 dB). So it can't detect distortion at a reasonable level. Some of the PicoScopes have 12 bit or even 16 bit resolution so should give a better FFT plot. Though I don't have experience of using them.
It might be best to use a PC and a sound card though the sampling rate is a limitation. Unfortunately nothing beats having the dedicated test equipment.

PChi, you could download a free copy of ARTA to get good FFT plots in the audio range. With 96Khz sampling cards you can get up to just over 40 Khz. I'm not sure if the software works at 192 Khz also. That way you get close to 96Khz ! Not enough ? You also have Audiotester to check out.

PChi, you could download a free copy of ARTA to get good FFT plots in the audio range. With 96Khz sampling cards you can get up to just over 40 Khz. I'm not sure if the software works at 192 Khz also. That way you get close to 96Khz ! Not enough ? You also have Audiotester to check out.
Hello AM,
Thanks for the information. I have ordered an E-MU 0204 which has a 192 kHz sampling rate and will try the ARTA software. The ADC used has a - 6.0 dB frequency of 96 kHz which I will check when the correct unit is delivered (2 wrong so far). I think that it is still a limitation because only up to the 4 th harmonic of a 20 kHz signal can be seen (to be verified).

I use Zelscope on my PC ( I have an e-mu 1616 for acquisition) as it works like a storage scope ( single shot, delayed sweep) and I can send the output to an analyzer. I use TrueRta. SoundEasy also has a scope function. When I am working on the bench, it is an old Tek analog 100M scope. If doing any real electronic work, you need to be able to see parasitic oscillations. A truly suitable scope that does everything we want is still several thousand. Used. Heck, just a set of P6106 probes will set you back. Then you will want a current probe......

If you like analogue 'scopes then there are absolutely thousands out there for pennies.

Most big corporations buy them new for new projects and then throw them out instead of having them calibrated.

TBPO in the DIY world they dont need calibrating, most of them will remain accurate enough for our use throughout their service life. Some will disagree I know, some guys need to know their voltages and frequencies down to the nth degree. Fair enough. For most DIY work you are only looking to see that there is a signal there and at the right magnitude.

I recently bought a Tektronics 475 'scope for £50 because it was 5% out at 200MHz.

OOOOh a 475. I spent 10 years with my face glued to one of those. We made hoods out of cardboard patterned after the full size scopes. I wound up with a newer 488. It is probably just me, but I still liked the 465/475 better. We had a 466 and of course, 7800 and 7900 mainframes too. Not exactly hobby bench size.

Anyone who thinks they are measuring better than 1% on a scope should go back to community college and learn electronics. Scopes are for looking at waveforms. Eyeball work. Get real, look how thick the trace is, than look at the specs.

If you buy a really cheap scope, You will regret it. As shown here, some of the best ever made can be had for a song. They are big, heavy, no storage, no capture. But for basic bench work, unsurpassed. I liked the triggering on Tek over HP. Never was fond of Philips.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi all,

& thanks for considering & replying. I guess then that my starting point will be an analog oscilloscope possibly with a storage function. Any of you know which brand/model(s) is best at triggering at low frequencies? It should be a small(er) oscilloscope as my table space is limited ...

For more detailed work with FFT etc. I will consider the idea of using a soundcard together with software on the computer.

Thanks again for replying & Happy Easter ;-)

Jesper

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.