Audio Precision System One woes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th March 2012, 11:09 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Precision System One woes

I got an old Audio Precision System One off ebay. Probably the lowest model, it only has one analog channel, a serial port, and the AP bus. I found out only the oldest version of software (that runs under DOS) supported the serial port. The last release of software that can be used runs under Windows 98. There are some former AP employees selling little lunchbox computers on ebay with a driver that will allows the printer port to be hooked to the AP bus with a special cable. So now I can talk to the box and it seems to work. Figuring out the software without any documentation is a pain but, I'm slowly getting up to speed.

One thing I would like to do is create those nice graphs like Nelson Pass does of distortion vs output power for a power amp. The only options I can find for the horizontal axis is oscillator output, either voltage or power (mW). I suppose I could use an attenuator on the oscillator so that 1mW of oscillator power equals 1W of output power or something to that effect. I really don't want to have to dig into their scripting language.

Do newer AP systems create these graphs without all the hassle?
Old 24th March 2012, 06:21 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Success !!!

Well, I finally did it! That thing is complicated. Shoulda joined that company when I had the chance.
Attached Images
File Type: gif First_graph.GIF (12.7 KB, 424 views)
File Type: gif THD_vs_Watts_Setup.GIF (34.4 KB, 417 views)
Old 24th March 2012, 07:58 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

Well cool.

As long as it got you where you wanted to be.
Old 24th March 2012, 09:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hint: If you register at AP.com (free), and go to the 'Legacy' page (do a search) you can download all kinds of documentation, app notes, user guides and even service manual.
Then there's the vintage AP user group at LinkedIn, with lots of friendly people including ex-AP engineers.
Didn't think about that, ha!

jan didden
Old 24th March 2012, 10:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I'm registered on the AP site. Sifting through many megabites of info takes a lot of time and I'm not going to print out a 300+ page manual. Went through many of the ap notes, didn't find anything about plotting power as the horizontal axis. The original System One operators guide uses the DOS version of the control program (S1.exe), it's a little different. There's a book by Metzler that explains all the different units used in measuring audio. Very usefull.

Two things were holding me back. One, you have to double click on the sweep menu to get the "large version" to display. That's where the X-Y button is located. Second, because my box only has one channel, I thought "Data 2" referred to the second channel. I haven't seen anywhere in any manual where it talks about a single channel analyzer. I just had to sit down and play with the box to see how it works and try to learn from the help files.

Now I need to get proper test leads together and clean up the amp I'm building so there are not so many clip leads. Get rid of those wavy lines around the 1 watt level.
Old 24th March 2012, 11:00 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kannan_s
Can you post the picture of your AP Sys 1 - also hint on the price you paid for this piece?
thanks
kannan
Old 25th March 2012, 05:01 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I had forgotten what I paid, so I looked it up. The price seemed high, (it was a few years ago). Then I looked on ebay to see what's on there now. It was less than any of the AP boxes (not including switchers) on ebay (USA) right now. I had no idea you could spend $20K to get the latest and greatest. I have a Tektronix distortion analyzer and low distortion oscillator. They are from the 80's, designed by the same guys that started AP. The AP box just makes it easy to plot those graphs and store them. I'm not into the ultra low distortion, but it's nice to look at the analyzer output to see the harmonics. I guess the next step would be some way to do FFTs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-091F.JPG (68.0 KB, 369 views)
Old 27th May 2013, 04:51 AM   #8
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

sorry to wake this thread up again ... but did anyone find a decent solution to connect one of the older APs to a PC without a GPIB bus ? I have a Portable 1 and right now i'm logging readings into an excel and drawing charts which is an amazing pain. I went out and bought a aprallel port laser printer (not too easy to find these days) and plugged in but i get gibberish out regardless of what emulation I select on the printer and /or on the AP. I researched it and theres someone that sells a generic solution for parallel port to data solution but no word on whether anyone has tested and found that it works on an AP.... Loudthud, in your first post you mentioned "There are some former AP employees selling little lunchbox computers on ebay with a driver that will allows the printer port to be hooked to the AP bus with a special cable. So now I can talk to the box and it seems to work. Figuring out the software without any documentation is a pain but, I'm slowly getting up to speed." ... would this work for me you reckon ? thanks!
Old 27th May 2013, 06:36 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Again, these same issues are discussed on the LinkedIn classic AP group. There are several ex-AP engineers and one guy sells AP adapters or miniPC's. Your best bet.

jan
Old 27th May 2013, 10:00 AM   #10
The Dastardly Dad of Three
diyAudio Member

Thanks jan - am not familiar with the linkedin group but this is a great reason to find out

Hide this!Advertise here!