Vise Cleaning

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just received a Palmgren mill vise, as part of my now nine month continuing saga to drill twelve holes. The Palmgren seems reasonably well made, though the milling on the ways is not as pretty as I might like, and the milled surfaces are not as smooth as on my Proxxon vise.

Here is my noob question: the vise is covered in grease and the instructions say to "Clean and remove all rust preventatives from all machined surfaces and spindle." They do not say how. I assume I should use some solvent, but what solvent should I use? Preferably something easy to find, cheap, nonexplosive and not foul smelling. I have on hand nail polish remover and alcohol, but that is about it.

There are both a Lowe's and a Home Depot several miles away. But this is a semi-rural area and I do not have a vehicle.

Edit: there used to be a well stocked local hardware store, but the chain stores put them out of business.

Last edited:
Well, there is a gas station nearby that used to sell Diesel fuel, at least back twenty years ago when I had a Diesel Jeep. I'm still holding out for mineral spirits though. I mentioned my quandary to a coworker this afternoon, and she said she had a jar of mineral spirits sitting on her kitchen floor.

You don't fully understand the problem. This is a rather rural area. I do not own a vehicle. I don't walk as well as I once did. There used to be an auto parts store but like the hardware store they are long since out of business. About four miles away there is a hardware store that maybe I can get to. But most of my hardware comes from the Internet.

Thanks for all the suggestions! This afternoon a friend kindly gave me a ride to the closest Home Depot, and since she is disabled we got to park right near the door. Lots of mineral spirits. I now have a vise clean enough to eat off.

Tomorrow I'll slather it up with way oil and see about getting it square on the x-y table. I suspect I'm gonna need some washers though that I don't have. Should have thought of that in Home Depot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.