Simple Capacitor ESR meter - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Piersma is online now Piersma  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Return ATMEGA

Return the original ATMEGA to Le Hung, you will probably will get a new copy.
I agree that this meter could be troublesome mostly due to the (very) critical 4093.
Old 13th March 2012, 04:49 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Mailing cost is high out of US. Cheaper inbound for some reason. $11.50 to mail the chip out because it has to go in a small box or padded envelope. Label has to fit on one side.

He said had to purchase a new one since it sounds like the chip was bad. I had someone interested in it since I wasn't in class anymore and then the ESR didn't work when I was showing them how it worked.

After all that I gave up on him. Decided if I could not find the parts/software easy enough it will not get built. He had parts on there that were not available here in the US or were very expensive to order from out of the country.

That one is in a dead box now because the class took it apart. They found other things with it. The board traces would suck up when desoldering with vacuum. He said they were professionally done for him but were not through hole and the traces were not coated like professional ones I've seen.

I've done well etching my PCB's for my other test equipment I made as long as it's in .LAY since I use the negative dry film and have to invert the image for print. Cheaper than buying the positive PCB w/resist.

I just can't figure out why I can't get an ESR meter to work. Must have something to do with trying to build the digital ones not having the exact same part because some of them are very expensive in the states for just hobby or not the exact number. I have to find my parts on boards I've collected. Not able to buy much of anything right now. Sometimes the author of one would tell me something else would work in place. Found one that had a 7805 in backwards on his PCB and schematics after it was built so that one is in the dead box also. I can't edit the files. I don't know enough to do that or buy the software to learn.

But now a friend gave me their 42" LCD TV that doesn't work and I'm needing an ESR meter again. It's cheaper to buy them now than repair them. 42" LCD $350-$450 at Costco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piersma View Post
Return the original ATMEGA to Le Hung, you will probably will get a new copy.
I agree that this meter could be troublesome mostly due to the (very) critical 4093.
Old 13th March 2012, 08:11 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosskgm View Post
When I tried the link http://circuitcellar.com/microchip20...ers/third.html it gave an error "Page Not Found".
There is another discussion of that project at the "Mig Developments" web site < http://www.migdevelopments.com/search/label/LCR%20Meter >. Schematic and software files seem to be available from < ftp://ftp.circuitcellar.com/pub/Circ.../Rusch-214.zip >.

Dale
Old 13th March 2012, 10:37 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks, but I'm more interested in the ESR meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchisholm View Post
There is another discussion of that project at the "Mig Developments" web site < MigDevelopments: LCR Meter >. Schematic and software files seem to be available from < ftp://ftp.circuitcellar.com/pub/Circ.../Rusch-214.zip >.

Dale
Old 14th March 2012, 09:31 AM   #15
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosskgm View Post
Thanks, but I'm more interested in the ESR meter.
Here is another example. Probably too luxurious for your purpose, it is a full vector meter, but at least, it's proven and tested:
Oldies but goodies!!!
Old 14th March 2012, 02:11 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Just a bit beyond. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvee View Post
Here is another example. Probably too luxurious for your purpose, it is a full vector meter, but at least, it's proven and tested:
Oldies but goodies!!!
Old 14th March 2012, 11:10 PM   #17
Oddeo is offline Oddeo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Really, really simple ESR meter

I've built this ESR meter and had good luck with it. Equivalent Series Resistance Meter

Curt
Old 14th March 2012, 11:46 PM   #18
Oddeo is offline Oddeo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default A more complex ESR meter

A few years ago, I built a uP-controlled capacitance/ESR meter that uses the following principle of operation:

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

The cap measurement uses a steady current source, and measures the time for the unknown cap to charge to a specified voltage. The computation of capacitance is trivial if you know the size of the current, the voltage differential, and the elapsed time.

That same hardware can be extended pretty easily to measure ESR. In this case, the current is not steady, but rather pulsed. The pulse of current causes a voltage to be developed across the series resistance, and also causes the capacitor voltage to rise by the amount of charge in the pulse.

If the current pulse is narrow enough, the cap doesn't get much charge and thus its voltage doesn't move much. So most of the voltage measure across the cap **during the pulse interval** is due to the series resistance. If that voltage is captured in a sample-and-hold, it can be measured, and the ESR calculated by dividing the sampled voltage by the current pulse amplitude.

This approach to ESR measurement is credited to Bob Parker. Dick Smith Electronics in Australia commercialized his design. A writeup was done by Silicon Chip Magazine in the March/April 2004 issue.

My implementation of the analog circuitry is shown below.

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

A uP is needed to switch the current sources on and off, to time the capacitance ramps, to strobe the sample-and-hold, to measure the sample voltage, and to display the results. I used a development board from Renesas that I had floating around. It was plugged into J1 in the diagram above.

--
Curt
Old 18th March 2012, 03:43 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

I looked at that one. I had no idea how to do what he mentioned. He mentioned " I made mine using an Amidon ferrite core, type EA-77-188, which is a tiny double-E core having a cross section of 22mm2, and external dimensions of about 19x16x5mm total. I used the nylon bobbin that Amidon delivers with it, wound a primary winding consisting of 400 turns of AWG #36 wire, and as secondary I wound 20 turns of AWG #26 wire. If you have a larger or smaller core, you can adjust the turn numbers in inverse proportion to the cross section area. The wire size isn't critical - the gauges I used are about 3 or 4 numbers thicker than necessary".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddeo View Post
I've built this ESR meter and had good luck with it. Equivalent Series Resistance Meter

Curt
Old 20th March 2012, 09:31 PM   #20
Piersma is online now Piersma  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Elektor ESR tester

Capacitor ESR Tester - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement

Hide this!Advertise here!