Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2012, 12:47 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Best solder? where to buy?

Hi folks

This is my first post on the forum and I'd like to say hello to everyone if i may. I was wondering if people could give me some advice on which solder i should buy and the best (cheapest) place to buy it from in the UK please.

Im fairly new to electronics and soldering in general, so basically im starting from scratch. I've been saving up for a bit now and im about to purchase a nice JBC soldering station, and have been aquiring various other tools that i think i will need such as Lindstrom cutters, ck tweezers, magnifying glass, helping third hand etc. And i've been watching EEVBLOG's soldering tutorials on youtube.

My plan is to buy a diy amplifier kit to start with, and I would like to have a good stock of solder to last into the future so i want to make the right choices. I was thinking it might be a good idea to get various types such as:

Multicore 60/40 (0.5mm) 250g
Multicore 63/37 (0.5mm) 250g
and possibly a smaller amount of cardas quad eutectic

However there seem to be a lot of slightly different specs in those solders and its a bit confusing which variations i should go for ie percentage of flux, no clean, number of cores etc and i notice that some are cheaper than others even though they appear to be identical in specs/brand (from the same website)

So if anyone can give me some advice on exactly which to go for, what not to go for, and where from for best price with links, I'd really appreciate it please bearing in mind i'm in the UK.

Thanks
Old 28th February 2012, 01:01 AM   #2
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Stargeezerme welcome to the forum!

I'll let our British members advise as to the best place to pick up solder in the UK.

I use Kester 60/40 and Wonder Solder which works great, but should be use in very well ventilated space due to the rather active flux used. The Cardas stuff is nice too.
Old 28th February 2012, 01:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkr View Post
Stargeezerme welcome to the forum!

I'll let our British members advise as to the best place to pick up solder in the UK - but if at all possible I would avoid the RoHS compliant stuff if you can. (It is very difficult to work with in a home environment.)
Hi, thanks for the nice welcome

Is that the lead free type you refer to?
Old 28th February 2012, 01:25 AM   #4
djQUAN is offline djQUAN  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to djQUAN Send a message via Yahoo to djQUAN
Ever since I used 63/37 solder, I never used 60/40 anymore. The joints are much nicer and very little chance of getting cold solder joints.
Old 28th February 2012, 01:36 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djQUAN View Post
Ever since I used 63/37 solder, I never used 60/40 anymore. The joints are much nicer and very little chance of getting cold solder joints.
Hi, curious to know what brand and type you use? normal or no clean/low flux?

Another thing worth mentioning is that I have a professional 5ltr ultrasonic cleaning machine, so should i be considering no-clean / water soluable type flux over normal stuff?

I realise that probably any decent solder will do, but it would be good to get the best variation from the off...
Old 28th February 2012, 02:18 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Does anyone know if this place is selling legit Cardas solder?

Cardas Quad Eutectic Solder 1 lb Roll
Old 28th February 2012, 02:45 AM   #7
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

I know these guys are legit.

Cardas Solder
Old 28th February 2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Enzo is online now Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

At least as far as solder goes, I consider myself fortunate to be in the USA. 60/40 and 63/37 are leaded solders. With the advent of RoHS, is it even still legal to sell leaded solder in the UK? I know nothing of the laws specifically.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:17 PM   #9
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yes it is legal, it is still used for high reliability designs.
Eutectic Sn/Pb 63/37 gives the best joints has been used for years, is reliable and is easiest to use for a beginer, less chance of a dry joint.
You wont hear any difference between any solder, unless you use the solder to make cables.
Or this if you wanna a bit of bling, its got silver:
Buy Solders Sn-Pb-Ag low melting point solder,1.22mm Multicore 291335 online from RS for next day delivery.

The SnPbAgC solders are also produced by others, often known as tip savers, as the added copper limited the migration of copper from the soldering iron tip.
Old 28th February 2012, 12:29 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by labjr View Post
I know these guys are legit.

Cardas Solder
Even cheaper! thanks for the link.... I've emailed them about shipping to UK.

Quote:
Yes it is legal, it is still used for high reliability designs.
Eutectic Sn/Pb 63/37 gives the best joints has been used for years, is reliable and is easiest to use for a beginer, less chance of a dry joint.
You wont hear any difference between any solder, unless you use the solder to make cables.
Or this if you wanna a bit of bling, its got silver:
Buy Solders Sn-Pb-Ag low melting point solder,1.22mm Multicore 291335 online from RS for next day delivery.

The SnPbAgC solders are also produced by others, often known as tip savers, as the added copper limited the migration of copper from the soldering iron tip.
Hey Marce, thanks for your information...

I've searched all over for 63/37 multicore solder and its like rocking horse **** over here... where can i get some of that from in a thin size? also is that silver multicore as good as the cardas stuff?

Cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!