Best solder? where to buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks

This is my first post on the forum and I'd like to say hello to everyone if i may. I was wondering if people could give me some advice on which solder i should buy and the best (cheapest) place to buy it from in the UK please.

Im fairly new to electronics and soldering in general, so basically im starting from scratch. I've been saving up for a bit now and im about to purchase a nice JBC soldering station, and have been aquiring various other tools that i think i will need such as Lindstrom cutters, ck tweezers, magnifying glass, helping third hand etc. And i've been watching EEVBLOG's soldering tutorials on youtube.

My plan is to buy a diy amplifier kit to start with, and I would like to have a good stock of solder to last into the future so i want to make the right choices. I was thinking it might be a good idea to get various types such as:

Multicore 60/40 (0.5mm) 250g
Multicore 63/37 (0.5mm) 250g
and possibly a smaller amount of cardas quad eutectic

However there seem to be a lot of slightly different specs in those solders and its a bit confusing which variations i should go for ie percentage of flux, no clean, number of cores etc and i notice that some are cheaper than others even though they appear to be identical in specs/brand (from the same website)

So if anyone can give me some advice on exactly which to go for, what not to go for, and where from for best price with links, I'd really appreciate it please bearing in mind i'm in the UK.

Thanks

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Stargeezerme welcome to the forum!

I'll let our British members advise as to the best place to pick up solder in the UK.

I use Kester 60/40 and Wonder Solder which works great, but should be use in very well ventilated space due to the rather active flux used. The Cardas stuff is nice too.

Ever since I used 63/37 solder, I never used 60/40 anymore. The joints are much nicer and very little chance of getting cold solder joints.

Hi, curious to know what brand and type you use? normal or no clean/low flux?

Another thing worth mentioning is that I have a professional 5ltr ultrasonic cleaning machine, so should i be considering no-clean / water soluable type flux over normal stuff?

I realise that probably any decent solder will do, but it would be good to get the best variation from the off...

Yes it is legal, it is still used for high reliability designs.
Eutectic Sn/Pb 63/37 gives the best joints has been used for years, is reliable and is easiest to use for a beginer, less chance of a dry joint.
You wont hear any difference between any solder, unless you use the solder to make cables.
Or this if you wanna a bit of bling, its got silver:
Buy Solders Sn-Pb-Ag low melting point solder,1.22mm Multicore 291335 online from RS for next day delivery.

The SnPbAgC solders are also produced by others, often known as tip savers, as the added copper limited the migration of copper from the soldering iron tip.

I know these guys are legit.

Cardas Solder

Even cheaper! thanks for the link.... I've emailed them about shipping to UK.

Yes it is legal, it is still used for high reliability designs.
Eutectic Sn/Pb 63/37 gives the best joints has been used for years, is reliable and is easiest to use for a beginer, less chance of a dry joint.
You wont hear any difference between any solder, unless you use the solder to make cables.
Or this if you wanna a bit of bling, its got silver:
Buy Solders Sn-Pb-Ag low melting point solder,1.22mm Multicore 291335 online from RS for next day delivery.

The SnPbAgC solders are also produced by others, often known as tip savers, as the added copper limited the migration of copper from the soldering iron tip.

Hey Marce, thanks for your information...

I've searched all over for 63/37 multicore solder and its like rocking horse **** over here... where can i get some of that from in a thin size? also is that silver multicore as good as the cardas stuff?

Cheers

Hi, curious to know what brand and type you use? normal or no clean/low flux?

Another thing worth mentioning is that I have a professional 5ltr ultrasonic cleaning machine, so should i be considering no-clean / water soluable type flux over normal stuff?

I realise that probably any decent solder will do, but it would be good to get the best variation from the off...

I have used Alpha Metals. I think the two rolls I used were Telecore and Reliacore solders. I think the latter is what I'm currently using IIRC. I bought them as they were the only 63/37 solder that I was able to get my hands on over here. They both work well for my uses. :)

I also have a small roll of solder that contains silver. For those odd jobs of soldering silver plated contacts (ceramic transducers and solar cells) as they don't dissolve the silver plated contact surfaces.

For cleaning flux, I just use IPA and a toothbrush.

Having measured the distortion quality of solder joints. I think multicore mildly active rosin core .032" 63/37 solder is probably the best all around choice.

I actually buy a locally made product. But those are the specs I look for. I find .062 solder kind of chunky except for some older style connectors and I do have .015 for small surface mount stuff.

I also have bar solder but some is used for the solder pot (tinning standed wire ends of cables) some is used for metal working (sealing shielded cans) and some gets painted gold for gag gifts!

Another vote for Cardas quad eutectic. I get mine from Parts Connexion.

I also have a stash of Kester 63/37 for non critical or non audio use.

I just been reading a thread on another forum regarding the cardas, and it seems to get a lot of favour by those who have actually used it for a length of time ...

Cardas Solder - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Like you say, i think it be a good idea to source a couple of 1lb spools of that stuff from the US, and get some decent multicore 63/37 for general work and not bother with 60/40.

Having measured the distortion quality of solder joints. I think multicore mildly active rosin core .032" 63/37 solder is probably the best all around choice.

I actually buy a locally made product. But those are the specs I look for. I find .062 solder kind of chunky except for some older style connectors and I do have .015 for small surface mount stuff.

Good advice, thanks

Last edited:
Hi stargeezerme,
Just my two cents on this, whatever you do don't buy lead free stuff! It is absolutely horrible and I have a roll of the stuff still sitting unused since I bought it from Maplin ages ago. Unfortunately, this is the only type that Maplin sells now, but I quickly found an alternative.

Although the general consensus is that 63/37 is better, I have had very good results with this 60/40 solder from Rapid:

Rapid Electronics Solder - 60/40 Tin/Lead

The 100g roll has lasted me for around 2 years (genuinely) and if you want to stretch to it, you could go for the 0.5kg rolls which would probably last for eternity! Also, even though it is only 60/40, as long as the board is free of oxidation and any fingerprints, then it gives excellent results-having a clean board applies to pretty much any solder anyway. Bearing in mind too, this is only with a basic Antex iron as well.

Hi stargeezerme,
Just my two cents on this, whatever you do don't buy lead free stuff! It is absolutely horrible and I have a roll of the stuff still sitting unused since I bought it from Maplin ages ago.

Hi there,

That's exactly the situation i want to avoid, hence asking for advice from experienced people, even though its yet another "best solder question".

I guess it all depend on the type of components you will be soldering as to what will be most suitable, in my case that will be new diy audio components, pre & power amps, speaker crossovers, binding posts, audio cables and some electrical stuff such as pwm speed controllers etc.

I'm hoping that soniccraft can oblige my specific shipping requests otherwise I may have to use a parcel forwarding service so that i have control over certain aspects. If anyone else is interested in buying a 1lb spool of that solder in the UK and combining an order together, splitting the costs then send me a pm and we can discuss it.

$53 (1lb) compared to £22 (100 g)

Last edited:
Lead free solder melts starting at 430 F for tin silver and higher for other alloys. 63/37 melts at 361F. So for lead free you need more heat. It also does not flow like lead solders so you must use less for each joint. Then don't expect the joints to look the same as lead solder. They are not as smooth and shiny. So lots of folks who look at the joints and are used to lead solders often think the lead free connections are "Cold" when they actually are as good as you will get with lead solder.

The advantage of 63/37 is that it changes from liquid to solid faster than 60/40 this results in fewer "cold" joints. Of course those with decent skill will probably not notice a difference.

I pay under $45 for a one pound roll of flux core .032" 63/37. The lead free tin silver copper runs $112 a pound!

I'm hoping that soniccraft can oblige my specific shipping requests otherwise I may have to use a parcel forwarding service so that i have control over certain aspects. If anyone else is interested in buying a 1lb spool of that solder in the UK and combining an order together, splitting the costs then send me a pm and we can discuss it.

$53 (1lb) compared to £22 (100 g)

I've ordered from Sonic Craft before. Nice guys. Sometimes takes a day or two for them to get back to you. They have a lot of goodies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.