Best solder? where to buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've ordered from Sonic Craft before. Nice guys. Sometimes takes a day or two for them to get back to you. They have a lot of goodies.

Yeah they do seem sound, I've already had a response to my email and they are willing to oblige my shipping request, however their postage quotes are quite high

eg 1 spool to uk including minimum order fee / bank fee / international handling fee = $103 ($40.40 of which is USPS Priority Mail)

If i get a quote direct from USPS assuming i buy 2 spools to have them parcel forwarded and avoid sonic crafts minimum order fee, eg

2.3lb estimated package weight (10"x6"x6") = $16.95 USPS priority international (so im wondering where they get $40 from for the same service?)

I could have sonic craft post the package to a parcel forwarder (Shipito - California) and then have them forward it onto me for the $16.95, however they charge $8.50 handling fee, 4.5% bank fee and they'd require me to complete a 1586 form? and upload it to them, plus i'd pay sonic craft for the US shipping...

Its a bit of a headache really but they will work out very similar total cost to each other, however with shipito it will be me that completes the customs form online which is an advantage (in my eyes :D )

Ok, so while i was writing this Sonic craft quoted me for 2 spools to uk, and also a quote for sending to california parcel forwarder....

Sonic craft to uk = $156
using parcel forwarding service = $151 (including all fees, postage etc)

Those are still good prices considering how much that solder costs over here, and its not even possible to buy 1lb spools here... I think the less complication of sonic craft posting direct to me is the winner for a few more $$

Have a look at RS Components | Electronic and Electrical Components and world-leading distributor of electronic and maintenance, repair and operations products. | Farnell United Kingdom

I've checked those companies out but you tend to get ripped off with postage from them considering its only a 500-600g parcel...

Ah ok, well Farnell charges a standard £15 on any order..... and ive just checked RS and they don't have the 63/37 multicore that im looking for lol...

The annoying thing is if you look on digikey or US sites you can get like every solder you can shake a stick at, and at about half the price of over here.

Can someone enlighten me why we can't all trade freely in the world?

Farnell is free on orders over £20 + VAT.

I now use lead free solder and havent had any problems.

The one I want is from US stock it says... £15.95

Maybe im being too fussy only looking for Multicore, however ive seen a lot of posts saying that it flows better than kester and is generally the preferred choice?

But I will order the 2x 1lb spools of Cardas quad off Sonic Craft and hopefully there won't be any problems with shipping. 2 spools of that should last me a lifetime.

Last edited:
I try to support my local Maplin and so buy solder from there.

Maplin are good and local and if I am short of a resistor or two but very expensive.
I was going to buy an audio lead from Maplin but they were £25 each, got one on ebay for £2 !

I hear ya, and theres nothing wrong with that. I almost bought a Hammond aluminium box from them as they were the cheapest on that product online, however they didn't have stock of the specific size/variation I wanted so I got it from Rapid instead and paid a bit more on postage.

Was that the exact same product that was cheaper? if it was then thats a disgusting amount of difference.

It's not that Farnell will charge you for orders below £20, it's that you cannot place orders if they are below £20 before VAT. Once you hit £20 you can place and order and then you get free next day P&P.

If you want to order a product which is from Farnell's extended range, this means you are buying from the US and pay shipping because of it. This is where the extra £15.95 comes in.

RS components used to charge for shipping but changed a couple of years ago, most likely as in direct competition to Farnell. RS one upped Farnell though and offer free next day delivery on any order, I find this service brilliant as you can imagine.

I use this stuff.

EDSYN|SS5250|SOLDER WIRE, FSW32, FLUX, 0.5MM | Farnell United Kingdom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.