Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator - Page 87 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2012, 08:39 PM   #861
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

I used to fix 339A back in the 80's the knobs were cracked even back then. PCB were made in Loveland (PRCD), they liked gold electroplate for some reason or another, I guess because everything else was done that way. Or they did not need solder mask if they gold plated the copper. Probably were all hand solder as well. The 333 series was much better mechanical design from what i can remember. Yes Mr. Marsh you are resurecting a boat anchor, good luck with your efforts.
Cheers
Rick
Old 20th November 2012, 09:30 PM   #862
RNMarsh is online now RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default guts and gore -

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsavas View Post
I used to fix 339A back in the 80's the knobs were cracked even back then. PCB were made in Loveland (PRCD), they liked gold electroplate for some reason or another, I guess because everything else was done that way. Or they did not need solder mask if they gold plated the copper. Probably were all hand solder as well. The 333 series was much better mechanical design from what i can remember. Yes Mr. Marsh you are resurecting a boat anchor, good luck with your efforts.
Cheers
Rick
I am looking for a nice clean sine wave source of variable freq - that i can then run thru a passive filter notch. I plan to use a high quality ADC/DAC system to measure the thd and FFT it in computer. Before that I had 2 fixed freq oscillators from Victor via eBAY. I bought a couple 339A as junk/parts units to cobble into one working unit... but, we shall see. trouble shooting it is easy but time comsuming and not sure I'll have all the parts needed. i did find some NOS of the HA-opamps for $3 each as back up for repair.
Its good we have it noted here for the record for others thinking of doing similar with 339A. Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 20th November 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old 20th November 2012, 10:45 PM   #863
rsavas is offline rsavas  Canada
diyAudio Member

Used HP equip from eBay is great stuff. I found these units very affordable.
HP 8656B,8901A,3478A,5316A,436A/8484.
I even have service manuals for them and as you do, buy non-op ones for spare parts. Nothin better than the real deal for spare parts ie. semi's .I know that you can get the ServM from Agilent, have lots but some sch's are hardly readable. I got a spare 8656B from Israel, imagine that $100,$100+ to ship air, still a good deal.
Need a part, I may have it! Good idea Rick, buy junk, remove parts, test,.sell on eBay=$?=Retirement planning. I loved my job at Motorola, fixing this stuff, now i fix PRC low rel. stuff=aweful.
Funny story, bought a HP counter IC on eBay, (Purple side braze w/gold lid/leads) sold as an ornament, pulled from a 5336,works like a charm, I see the same IC being sold on eBay for >100.00
Good idea's about making/sourcing some fine audio oscillators.Thx for that info
Have fun Rick
Old 21st November 2012, 12:53 AM   #864
DDB is offline DDB  United States
diyAudio Member

Richard, I have a 339 off of ebay a couple of years ago and only thing done to it was clean the switches although it could be improved with a recal and the 2nd harmonic mod to the jfet. Victor's boards are a better source I believe. Have you considered installing three or four of them into a 339 hulk and using its atten and switches? They are OK and their power supply is also decent, could be tweaked if desired. Might make a pretty decent oscillator. Dick's links has been posted many times on this thread but it is worth a read to look at a 339 osc and a Cordell SVC osc built into a Heathkit box. #2 IG-18 #2, the BIG-18 #3 IG-18 #3, the IG-339A #4 IG-18 #4, the IG-339B The HP has better shielding, attens, power supply etc so a better base to start from if you dont need continuous tuning and just want to use Victors boards. Larry
Old 21st November 2012, 01:06 AM   #865
diyAudio Member

I have an HP339 that I just got, and am now baselining. Any input would be appreciated. Are you sure that it is not nickel plated vs gold contacts?
Old 21st November 2012, 01:10 AM   #866
diyAudio Member

Good ideas. I understand from Demian, the 339A oscillator is better than it's analyzer says it is. So, I expect it is less than .001%, stock. However, if I need a really, really super low distortion source, I have the ones from Victor.... together, they should take care of my needs for a long time. With the 339 mods, and contact cleaning, it should do very well.
Old 21st November 2012, 02:28 AM   #867
DDB is offline DDB  United States
diyAudio Member

Default HP 339 mods

A few tweaks I am going to do to my 339 oscillator section when time available:

Add 2nd harmonic mod to jfet.

Remove fuse from sig out line, HP advised some of them caused thermal distortion at low frequencies.

Determine whether better op amps might lower noise from HP/LP filters as Dick Moore suggested.

Improve oscillator +/- 15V power supply to lower noise output from line and PS IC, maybe try super regs with remote sensing. Current limiting nice though in case a tant cap shorts.

Any other suggestions are welcome although I don't want to attempt a major redo of the circuit, that's what Victor's boards are for.

As far as the analyzer section I don't know what improvements are easily made. The power supply for it can probably be improved but its more difficult than the oscillator due to the increased current requirement. Again suggestions are welcome but the need not as great as I also have a hardware SA and use a sound card FFT.

Larry
Old 21st November 2012, 03:39 AM   #868
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

If the analyzer section is well behaved (doesn't add a lot of its own distortion) its a great front end for a PC sound card. Almost infinite protected dynamic range and the notch extends the distortion floor 20-60 dB depending. A 16 bit sound card, or an 8 bit digital scope adapter even, on the monitor output will show virtually all there is to see.
Old 21st November 2012, 04:49 AM   #869
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
If the analyzer section is well behaved (doesn't add a lot of its own distortion) its a great front end for a PC sound card. Almost infinite protected dynamic range and the notch extends the distortion floor 20-60 dB depending. A 16 bit sound card, or an 8 bit digital scope adapter even, on the monitor output will show virtually all there is to see.
... and get the auto-nulling which i like better than passive manual. Passive bridged-T might be the last word in measuring lowest thd. But, this comes in a close second and hassel free and a lot more affordable for occassional use.

I plan to do some of the tricks mentioned -- like pot for adjusting null on second harmonic. Its just too easy not to do. Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 21st November 2012 at 05:09 AM.
Old 25th November 2012, 05:02 AM   #870
diyAudio Member

Default Nickel ated

Quote:
Originally Posted by john curl View Post
I have an HP339 that I just got, and am now baselining. Any input would be appreciated. Are you sure that it is not nickel plated vs gold contacts?
They probably are nickel... dont know what the base metal is. I will consider soldering the ones that are off the oscillator pcb to other pcb and thru to output. The rest of the contacts (analyzer) can stay as they are.

Hide this!Advertise here!