Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2012, 01:33 AM   #491
EssB is offline EssB  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Looks like a Wien bridge to me, just configured a bit differently.

I'd agree with Richiem, Victor's design looks better.

I can never understand how a LDR + PI controller can work properly, seeing as the LDR is a PI control element in itself, or at least a leaky integrator. Everytime I've simulated one it's very difficult to get them to stabilise. By the time I got that AN43 design to work the distortion looked poor.

Does anybody have a spice model for the VTL5C10 ?
I only have Thomas Gootee's VTL5C2 model, the 5C10 is a low slope type.
Old 27th September 2012, 02:11 AM   #492
richiem is offline richiem  United States
diyAudio Member

It's a Wien bridge -- series elements in the input leg and parallel elements in the feedback leg. This is however an all-inverting design, which eliminates a serious obstacle to low distortion in feedback oscillators -- common-mode errors. Jim Williams attempted an apparently successful fix for this in the oscillator from app note AN43.

Victor's circuit (I hope I looked at the right schematic) solves this in a different way by keeping the amps in inverting mode. Huge benefit. A state-variable design does this too, except for the summing stage, but not having any non-inverting amps in the oscillator proper really helps.
Old 27th September 2012, 02:20 AM   #493
diyAudio Member

I knew I'd seen the all inverter config before:
Low distortion oscillator tests measurement circuits | TMW
Old 27th September 2012, 03:15 AM   #494
diyAudio Member

Has anyone tried using the Linear Tech RMS-DC converters in the detector/AGC loop? Williams wrote an application note (AN-106) and there was another little squib using the LTC1966 or LTC1968.

With respect to the VTL5C10, you can take the values off the data sheet and use Eurequa to determine the spice parameters.
Old 27th September 2012, 03:24 AM   #495
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssB View Post

I can never understand how a LDR + PI controller can work properly, seeing as the LDR is a PI control element in itself, or at least a leaky integrator. Everytime I've simulated one it's very difficult to get them to stabilise. By the time I got that AN43 design to work the distortion looked poor.

I think I do but I've never tried it. I'll dig it up and post it here.

David.
Old 27th September 2012, 03:31 AM   #496
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Has anyone tried using the Linear Tech RMS-DC converters in the detector/AGC loop? Williams wrote an application note (AN-106) and there was another little squib using the LTC1966 or LTC1968.

With respect to the VTL5C10, you can take the values off the data sheet and use Eurequa to determine the spice parameters.
I tried the LT RMS-DC converter. I had to filter the output of the convertor so heavily it was only good for 1KHz down. Not suitable for a full range oscillator unless noise is not an issue.

The output looks like a full wave rectifier but with a wave form shape that averages RMS with an LP filter.

I discovered a trick with the 1968. Since the output is switched capacitor, two convertors can have their outputs parallel. One of the two convertors fed from the quadrature. The output wave form is symmetrically overlapped reducing the ripple buy about 80%.

David.

Last edited by davada; 27th September 2012 at 03:41 AM.
Old 27th September 2012, 04:01 AM   #497
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssB View Post

I found it.

Oh maybe you have this already.

David.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VTL5C.zip (7.4 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by davada; 27th September 2012 at 04:20 AM.
Old 27th September 2012, 11:17 AM   #498
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post

The 'little squib', was this it ? http://cds.linear.com/docs/LT%20Jour...TC1968-Pei.pdf

Yes, I expected I'd have to modify or create a VTL5C10 model, I thought I'd ask here first.
Old 27th September 2012, 11:17 AM   #499
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiem View Post
It's a Wien bridge -- series elements in the input leg and parallel elements in the feedback leg. This is however an all-inverting design, which eliminates a serious obstacle to low distortion in feedback oscillators -- common-mode errors. Jim Williams attempted an apparently successful fix for this in the oscillator from app note AN43.

Victor's circuit (I hope I looked at the right schematic) solves this in a different way by keeping the amps in inverting mode. Huge benefit. A state-variable design does this too, except for the summing stage, but not having any non-inverting amps in the oscillator proper really helps.
OK, please be patient with my ignorance. I do not see the series and parallel elements in Victor's schematic. There are supposed to be two capacitors and two resistors of equal value. I can't even identify the input leg and the feedback leg. Are the resistors in the Wein bridge R17+R18 and R10+jfet? I don't get it.
Old 27th September 2012, 11:18 AM   #500
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davada View Post
I found it.

Oh maybe you have this already.

David.
Thanks David, that looks like a different model - I'll give it a go.

Hide this!Advertise here!