Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator - Page 33 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th September 2012, 06:33 PM   #321
diyAudio Member

Why would anyone want an external clock when there are 2 of them available on the board?

Thanks for sharing s3stup!
Old 6th September 2012, 06:36 PM   #322
diyAudio Member

For lower jitter i'd guess Or for syncing-up the whole system from single clock source (useful in multiple ADC configurations - for multichannel recording etc).
Old 6th September 2012, 06:40 PM   #323
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Bruel & Kjaer 1607 Twin Tee

I finally dug this rare (and important antique) out of storage and checked to see if it would work. it does and it gives some verification of the performance of the oscillator.

The spectrum shows the un-notched as the red trace and the notched as the yellow. Also is a picture of it in use (not the best lab technique) and a page from the manual showing its notch characteristics. The manual does not have the circuit (a first for B&K manuals of that vintage) so I may need to reverse engineer it. Also a clean mod to work around the B&K connectors is on my to-do list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B&K Twin Tee spectrum.JPG (120.9 KB, 305 views)
File Type: jpg B&K twin tee.jpg (686.1 KB, 300 views)
File Type: jpg Pg3.jpg (748.2 KB, 295 views)
Old 6th September 2012, 06:42 PM   #324
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
For lower jitter i'd guess
I would think it would be easier to just replace one of the on board clocks. It's just solder.... I don't know enough to know if that's a good idea.
Old 7th September 2012, 02:11 AM   #325
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
I finally dug this rare (and important antique) out of storage and checked to see if it would work. it does and it gives some verification of the performance of the oscillator.

The spectrum shows the un-notched as the red trace and the notched as the yellow. Also is a picture of it in use (not the best lab technique) and a page from the manual showing its notch characteristics. The manual does not have the circuit (a first for B&K manuals of that vintage) so I may need to reverse engineer it. Also a clean mod to work around the B&K connectors is on my to-do list.
Thats great -- just what I would need to use :-)
Old 7th September 2012, 04:32 AM   #326
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3tup View Post
For lower jitter i'd guess Or for syncing-up the whole system from single clock source (useful in multiple ADC configurations - for multichannel recording etc).
Low jitter is the primary issue. The TI board is pretty good while the AKM is a demonstration of why you don't want an inverter crystal oscillator. I am using an external OXCO (it draws as much as 12W) to get a low jitter clock. Its possible to get similar performance from the Crystek oscillators, but you do need to clean up the power supply.
Old 7th September 2012, 04:32 AM   #327
richiem is offline richiem  United States
diyAudio Member

Ahhhh -- B&K connectors.... Thanks, Demian, for taking me back.
Old 7th September 2012, 08:50 AM   #328
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Low jitter is the primary issue. The TI board is pretty good while the AKM is a demonstration of why you don't want an inverter crystal oscillator. I am using an external OXCO (it draws as much as 12W) to get a low jitter clock. Its possible to get similar performance from the Crystek oscillators, but you do need to clean up the power supply.
I'm up for modifying the TI board if someone can show me what needs to be replaced.

I'm expecting the parts for the CCS for my battery powered Victor oscillator pretty soon. I'm using the DN2540 mosfet in a cascode arrangement with the LM117 regulator, according to Walt Jung's design. I hope to have it up this weekend if I get my parts.

Victor also makes a 10kHz oscillator. Is it as good as the 1k variety?
Old 7th September 2012, 01:39 PM   #329
diyAudio Member

Forgive me if this has been asked already, or that I don't understand, but can an active peak filter be used (tuned to a desired frequency) to reduce THD? I realize the active filter will introduce some distortion, but if the Q is high enough won't the net result be lower distortion? Is this idea already built into these low distortion oscillators? (I guess "peak filter" is an old fashioned term. I guess what I mean is a narrow bandpass filter)

Last edited by dirkwright; 7th September 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 7th September 2012, 03:07 PM   #330
richiem is offline richiem  United States
diyAudio Member

In general, the distortion of the filter swamps the distortion of the very-low distortion oscillator. It is possible to use LC passive filters to do what you suggest, but that's really only practical for fixed frequency oscillators.

Hide this!Advertise here!