Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2012, 10:20 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Dirkw: I believe you are right. I also believe the pin-out of the LT1010 is wrong, pin 1 should be 2, 4 should be 2. Any comments? E
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:26 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymoose View Post
Dirkw: I believe you are right. I also believe the pin-out of the LT1010 is wrong, pin 1 should be 2, 4 should be 2. Any comments? E
I don't know yet, haven't had time to study it any more, just read through the application note this afternoon... so busy! Thanks for the tip. I am not talented at making circuit boards. I can do this on nice perf board, though 20volts output is way too much! I think I'd put a volume control before the input to the LT1010. Another problem is that the LT1006 is really only available in surface mount. I don't think ai can surface mount something on perf board.... can I?
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:06 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I am thinking about designing the board for this oscillator once I am satisfied with..., also there are many suppliers of surfacemount to DIP adaptors
Scaling the output is not a problem. I am looking into replacing (or adding to) the LT1010 with a hi-slew balanced output device. E
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:09 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am thinking about designing the board for this oscillator once I am satisfied with..., also there are many suppliers of surfacemount to DIP adaptors
Scaling the output is not a problem. I am looking into replacing (or adding to) the LT1010 with a hi-slew balanced output device. E
Oh cool. I'm in for a group buy. Balanced output would be fantastic!

Linear Technology sells the chips direct no problem, and apparently cheaper than Digikey.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:25 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

In the Williams circuit, sometimes that CdS photocell can be hard to find in any venders stock.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:29 PM   #26
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default CdS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
In the Williams circuit, sometimes that CdS photocell can be hard to find in any venders stock.
Check with Jackinnj for the CdS.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:32 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

It looks like this LT circuit has been discussed before:
Low Distortion Signal Generator
back in 2004.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:33 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

This looks like the animal we need:
Excelitas Technologies Sensors - VTL5C10 - Optoelectronics & Lighting - Optocouplers/Optoisolators - Allied Electronics

I ordered 3 of them. I can share with mickeymoose or whoever is serious about designing a board.

Last edited by dirkwright; 2nd February 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:35 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Random musings:
As low THD can be acieved only with low tol R+C in the Wien Bridge (stereo pot can have up to a +/-20% variation between segments), me thinks I will replace the dual-pot with a stereo digital pot and a small-value dual pot in series with the digital for in-between frequencies. Adjustment of the digital pot through a rotary encoder. This will require a digital frequency read-out, of course.....now this is getting involved! E
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:51 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Random musings:
As low THD can be acieved only with low tol R+C in the Wien Bridge (stereo pot can have up to a +/-20% variation between segments), me thinks I will replace the dual-pot with a stereo digital pot and a small-value dual pot in series with the digital for in-between frequencies. Adjustment of the digital pot through a rotary encoder. This will require a digital frequency read-out, of course.....now this is getting involved! E
It would be a lot easier to make if I can just find a dual pot that has matched sections.

I could put 2 of these together:
http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/6574.pdf

Last edited by dirkwright; 2nd February 2012 at 11:58 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!