Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd May 2013, 04:20 PM   #2561
HpW is offline HpW  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davada View Post
Will ASIO support any sample rate?
ASIO itself dos not defines the sample rate, it's the protocol/API to the HW driver as MME/WDM/WASAPI (MS Windows). The sample rate on the API is usual a 32bit value.

It's the underlying HW, who allows to deal with given/supported sample rates.

Just look on RME: Home or Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. with upper level sound cards & USB based systems.

Usual seen sample rates are may 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 4 times of 32/44.1/48 kHz. 8 times the 48Khz = 384Khz is a very rare seen rate.

Hp

Last edited by HpW; 2nd May 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 2nd May 2013, 06:10 PM   #2562
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpW View Post
ASIO itself dos not defines the sample rate, it's the protocol/API to the HW driver as MME/WDM/WASAPI (MS Windows). The sample rate on the API is usual a 32bit value.

It's the underlying HW, who allows to deal with given/supported sample rates.

Just look on RME: Home or Lynx Studio Technology, Inc. with upper level sound cards & USB based systems.

Usual seen sample rates are may 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 4 times of 32/44.1/48 kHz. 8 times the 48Khz = 384Khz is a very rare seen rate.

Hp
Are sample rates between the given multiples possible if the HD supports it?
This is what I'm getting at. If sample rate to 192ksps are supported is a sample rate of 100ksps possible?
Old 2nd May 2013, 06:37 PM   #2563
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are sample rates between the given multiples possible if the HD supports it?
This is what I'm getting at. If sample rate to 192ksps are supported is a sample rate of 100ksps possible?
- Sample rates relates to the on board crystal oscillator and is usual fixed.

- All is Audio related 44.1 & 48kHz, some also support 32kHz, often due the
digital I/O support

- Usual audio sample rates 32, 44.1, 48 and multiple of them are available.
(This what I have seen in the last 20 years,
dealing with my FFT-Analyzer and those HW)

- may some small pitch correction is available, more I haven't seen.
In other words: A custom sample rate as 100Khz no easy way...

As I understand, you would like to have a different sample rate as the standard sample rates provides.... then may alter the on board oscillator but also fake the displayed sample rate (a feature of my SW) ...

Hp
Old 2nd May 2013, 06:44 PM   #2564
diyAudio Member

Quote:
- Sample rates relates to the on board crystal oscillator and is usual fixed.

- All is Audio related 44.1 & 48kHz, some also support 32kHz, often due the
digital I/O support

- Usual audio sample rates 32, 44.1, 48 and multiple of them are available.
(This what I have seen in the last 20 years,
dealing with my FFT-Analyzer and those HW)

- may some small pitch correction is available, more I haven't seen.
In other words: A custom sample rate as 100Khz no easy way...

As I understand, you would like to have a different sample rate as the standard sample rates provides.... then may alter the on board oscillator but also fake the displayed sample rate (a feature of my SW) ...

Hp
Hi HpW,

If I use an industrial ADC where I can define the sample rate will an ASIO driver and a program like ARTA handle sample rates other than the standard audio sample rates.
Consider no hardware limitation here.
Old 2nd May 2013, 07:34 PM   #2565
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi HpW,

If I use an industrial ADC where I can define the sample rate will an ASIO driver and a program like ARTA handle sample rates other than the standard audio sample rates.
Consider no hardware limitation here.
I may write on my own FFT Analyzer & Wave Generator where I support a custom sample rate (any 32bit value) and may not able to speak for ARTA.

First, you have to understand what the HW does/is able, what the related (ASIO-) HW driver does/is able, what the Driver Interface ASIO does/ is able and finally the application (GUI).

In other words the layers as like for ASIO:

1) HW: is designed to support 44.1 & 48 kHz or any other sample rat(s). And only this and no else value.

2) HW Driver: proper implemented, it allows to sample on the supported sample rates as in 1). In other words he will complain on the API with OK or NOK states.

3) Driver Interface: Its a specific API specification who you have to deal with the HW Driver. ASIO / MME & WDM / WASAPI have a complete different implementation!

4) Application: Deals with the Driver Interface (API)

Now, If you would like to render on an unsupported Sample Rate:

1) The application has to support to enter a custom sample rate. Usual a fixed list is provided.

2) If the application supports such custom sample rate, the API Interface do NOT care on the custom sample rate! It just send the value to the HW driver.

3) The HW driver checks the requested sample rate, the API interface result will be OK/NOK and only if the state is OK, it prepares/sets his base frequency according to the requested sample rate. Then the application and API I/O Buffer reservation, channel selection and the following start sample = buffer switching & notification to the application will occur ...

this is all a bit simplified... WASAPI is able to do some sample rate conversions but this is the an other story and for measurement puts the result to hell.

In other words this is the system behavior and not the other way round.

Hopefully, may you get this now ....

Hp

Last edited by HpW; 2nd May 2013 at 07:38 PM.
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:29 AM   #2566
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I may write on my own FFT Analyzer & Wave Generator where I support a custom sample rate (any 32bit value) and may not able to speak for ARTA.

First, you have to understand what the HW does/is able, what the related (ASIO-) HW driver does/is able, what the Driver Interface ASIO does/ is able and finally the application (GUI).

In other words the layers as like for ASIO:

1) HW: is designed to support 44.1 & 48 kHz or any other sample rat(s). And only this and no else value.

2) HW Driver: proper implemented, it allows to sample on the supported sample rates as in 1). In other words he will complain on the API with OK or NOK states.

3) Driver Interface: Its a specific API specification who you have to deal with the HW Driver. ASIO / MME & WDM / WASAPI have a complete different implementation!

4) Application: Deals with the Driver Interface (API)

Now, If you would like to render on an unsupported Sample Rate:

1) The application has to support to enter a custom sample rate. Usual a fixed list is provided.

2) If the application supports such custom sample rate, the API Interface do NOT care on the custom sample rate! It just send the value to the HW driver.

3) The HW driver checks the requested sample rate, the API interface result will be OK/NOK and only if the state is OK, it prepares/sets his base frequency according to the requested sample rate. Then the application and API I/O Buffer reservation, channel selection and the following start sample = buffer switching & notification to the application will occur ...

this is all a bit simplified... WASAPI is able to do some sample rate conversions but this is the an other story and for measurement puts the result to hell.

In other words this is the system behavior and not the other way round.

Hopefully, may you get this now ....

Hp
Thanks,

So the answer is no. One would have to write a custom driver, API and app to handle the HD.

Cheers,
Old 3rd May 2013, 05:35 AM   #2567
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks,

So the answer is no. One would have to write a custom driver, API and app to handle the HD.

Cheers,
As I already mentioned, use an existing HW and alter the base oscillator so that 96kHz will be 100 kHz and fake on the GUI 96khz as 100khz. This is on my FFT Analyzer already implemented.

Cheers too

Hp
Old 3rd May 2013, 04:09 PM   #2568
1audio is online now 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

I think you can use both the RME and the Lynx with any sample rate up to 218 KHz. You can get SPDIF transmitters that work up to 216 KHz and the ADC's can so if getting measurements past 100 KHz is important combining several available pieces will get you there- Demo board for TI or AKM, Xtal or Synthesizer for the desired clock, RME or Lynx card and HPW software. (now I have removed whatever remaining reason I had not to buy a copy since I have the first three. . .)
Old 3rd May 2013, 04:53 PM   #2569
diyAudio Member

What would be the benefit of a custom sample rate?
Old 3rd May 2013, 06:33 PM   #2570
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

An Idea from Matt at QA is the following but he cant do it for a long time -- busy with China customer work -- but thought it would be easy to do -->

How long would it take to add an external trigger I/O port so that up to 16 ADC's could be triggered to sample at same time . and then all imported waveforms into PC and then sycnhronously average those.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 3rd May 2013 at 06:38 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!