Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator - Page 219 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th April 2013, 06:16 AM   #2181
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

First, how I added injection locking to the KH4400. Its a junk box Radio Shack transformer (1:1) and two 100K resistors and a cap. I used a transformer to get ground isolation. It did not really work. I need to find a shielded transformer.

Then the QA400 during measurements runs the generator in bursts. This does not work well with injection locking.

Fortunately the Boonton 1120 can be set very precisely (6 digits) and is locked to a TXCO. (I get value from the toy. . . )

I locked the KH4400 to the Boonton set to the frequency of the QA400 internal generator. You can see how the skirts narrow when the generator is locked. You will also see the third harmonic increase when locked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KH4400 locking.jpg (419.2 KB, 153 views)
File Type: png KH4400 locked.png (22.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: png KH4400 free run.png (23.3 KB, 146 views)
File Type: png KH4400 locked to 1120.png (29.4 KB, 137 views)
Old 12th April 2013, 06:34 AM   #2182
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Dick, the comparison was aluminum with fins, anodization, and all the other good stuff. the copper was just a lump. I keep pointing out there is nothing to learn unless ALL the factors are covered.
Scott, one thing to check is whether your buddy actually allowed for enough time to reach equilibrium. Until that point, his block of copper may well look better, but possibly after equilibrium, the alu-with-fins might do better.
The copper may rise slower in temp, but end up at a higher final temp.

jan

Last edited by jan.didden; 12th April 2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12th April 2013, 12:33 PM   #2183
diyAudio Member

Demian -- that is really neat!
Old 12th April 2013, 12:35 PM   #2184
diyAudio Member

Scott

The other issues are that the e of tarnished copper is quite high. As mentioned copper conducts heat much better so all of the surface area will be at the same t. And of course the method used to measure the t. A probe with putty is accurate an ir sensor can give silly readings. That brings up the issue of the anodizing. Black is the color you see. There are different methods to get to black. The cheapest way is with a dye. Cheaper dyes are not as black at ir as the better ones from sources such as Sandoz.

I thought the distortion reduction in injection locking were clear. If you do a high level of 10% that is 20 db. Even a square wave has only 1/3 sin (3x) or another -10 ish. Add the minimum two pole filtering of the tuning elements for another 18 on the 3rd.

Now 10% is a high injection level. But you are starting with a clean sine wave. In actual practice they of course don't exist. Also for most folks locking at 1% injection from the output of a digital frequency divider has low enough distortion, there is no reason to go any cleaner.

Now using a D-A with smarts behind it opens entirely new methods of not just locking it but also opens up all the other control issues. Not just loop gain and matching harmonic cancelation, but also some neat sampling based cancelation or correction techniques.

ES
Old 12th April 2013, 02:04 PM   #2185
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Scott

The other issues are that the e of tarnished copper is quite high. As mentioned copper conducts heat much better so all of the surface area will be at the same t. And of course the method used to measure the t. A probe with putty is accurate an ir sensor can give silly readings. That brings up the issue of the anodizing. Black is the color you see. There are different methods to get to black. The cheapest way is with a dye. Cheaper dyes are not as black at ir as the better ones from sources such as Sandoz.

I thought the distortion reduction in injection locking were clear. If you do a high level of 10% that is 20 db. Even a square wave has only 1/3 sin (3x) or another -10 ish. Add the minimum two pole filtering of the tuning elements for another 18 on the 3rd.

Now 10% is a high injection level. But you are starting with a clean sine wave. In actual practice they of course don't exist. Also for most folks locking at 1% injection from the output of a digital frequency divider has low enough distortion, there is no reason to go any cleaner.

Now using a D-A with smarts behind it opens entirely new methods of not just locking it but also opens up all the other control issues. Not just loop gain and matching harmonic cancelation, but also some neat sampling based cancelation or correction techniques.

ES
Ed I thought you said to avoid a pure sine wave? That's what made no sense. It turns out this system seems to act like an ultra high Q amplifier which is perfect. This will reject the injectors harmonics by a huge amount. I think you misunderstand I am pulling the frequency by 10% the amplitude is tiny.

Also I have to apologize a little on the heatsink stuff. I have been fighting this for years. The JEDEC specs for ThetaJA are very pessimistic because the don't include things that would apper in a normal application like conduction out the leads. Parts are to be measured soldered to small dots on tiny boards.

Does it make sense to thermally isolate a heatsink and mount it upside down to defeat natural convection to prove the point that radiation can be up to 20% of the loss? (number from IBM) Bolted to the chassis and free and clear to encourage natural convection we are down to a few percent at best difference. BTW turning off radiation all the way in that program will give a wrong answer anyway, raw aluminum extrusion is .2-.3 emissivity.

Last edited by scott wurcer; 12th April 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 12th April 2013, 02:05 PM   #2186
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
FYI -- Attachment 342057

So there you are. Clear now? Good.

[Physicsforums.com/archive/index.php/t-131758.html]
That's why copper bottoms are put on cooking pots. Nothing new here.
Old 12th April 2013, 02:19 PM   #2187
diyAudio Member

Scott,

I thought you misread that. Using a simulation with a clean sine wave is misleading because that is not how it was normally done.

I though you were injecting 10% because of component tolerances. 1% is typical. A pull range of 10% is wide, normal is +3/-2 or so. I have done most of this with Wein bridges.

As you know the e part of the heatsink depends on operating temperature. For an exposed heatsink 45C is often the limit to prevent injury. Inside a case you might see 80C with modern power transistors. Allowable die temperatures are 50C higher than when I started designing stuff. So the e ratio really depends on how hot you can take it. BTY 10% is what I would consider starting to be significant.

On a cost basis it is about $.03 per square inch for quality anodizing in small quantities. A .1" x 1" x 1" piece of aluminum costs just about the same. Makes the economics interesting.

ES
Old 12th April 2013, 02:25 PM   #2188
diyAudio Member

Demian

Ever try two transformers in series? (Load R between them.)

ES
Old 12th April 2013, 04:03 PM   #2189
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan.didden View Post
Scott, one thing to check is whether your buddy actually allowed for enough time to reach equilibrium. Until that point, his block of copper may well look better, but possibly after equilibrium, the alu-with-fins might do better.
The copper may rise slower in temp, but end up at a higher final temp.

jan
That was the first suggestion from the gathered elites.
Old 12th April 2013, 04:33 PM   #2190
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon7000 View Post
Demian

Ever try two transformers in series? (Load R between them.)

ES
Good idea. I'll need to check the junk box. I can ground the intermediate connections to reduce the noise coupling.

Hide this!Advertise here!