Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator - Page 207 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd April 2013, 07:33 PM   #2061
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Plan A and B and C --- I can see why this sort of thing doesnt sell a lot. No vote of confidence.
But, I live in hope that one day ... .

Thx-RNMarsh
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:22 PM   #2062
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

This is pretty normal. Most recording interfaces fail if connected to "any" pc and then run at sample rates above 48.

Usually a minimum PC requirement must be met for almost any hardware/software application. You can attempt with less but no one will be surprised if you have problems.
Old 2nd April 2013, 09:28 PM   #2063
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Hi,
In this post Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator I ran 96khz fft simultaneous with the latency check. MS Security Essentils turned on and got approx 12uS latency on a 5 year old XP install. No hick ups!

The secret is solid hardware, drivers and most importantly no bloatware.

Uninstall browser tool bars that may have services running in the background. If necessary make exceptions in Antivirus for your audio application. Preinstalled PCs typically have tons of bloatware installed. Uninstall everything not needed and preferably use chosen PC solely for measurements. Be cautious with 'free' applications such as PDF readers etc that typically installs bloat during updates. Spot the opt out check boxes during those updates and uncheck everything that is not needed (likely all).
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:22 AM   #2064
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKN View Post
Hi,
In this post Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator I ran 96khz fft simultaneous with the latency check. MS Security Essentils turned on and got approx 12uS latency on a 5 year old XP install. No hick ups!

The secret is solid hardware, drivers and most importantly no bloatware.

Uninstall browser tool bars that may have services running in the background. If necessary make exceptions in Antivirus for your audio application. Preinstalled PCs typically have tons of bloatware installed. Uninstall everything not needed and preferably use chosen PC solely for measurements. Be cautious with 'free' applications such as PDF readers etc that typically installs bloat during updates. Spot the opt out check boxes during those updates and uncheck everything that is not needed (likely all).
I've tried uninstalling tool bars but they are still there. Driving nuts.
Old 4th April 2013, 04:12 AM   #2065
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

b
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Last night I took my C7 red lamp and grabbed 6 - .033uF film caps out of the same bag and 6 - 1260 Ohm resistors sequentially off the same strip and wired up Mr. Brisbois' oscillator and a mating notch. Using the AD797 here's a quick picture of the results. Out of the box the notch was -46dB and the amplitude was 5.3V rms (~15.7V p-p) at ~4k Hz. There are my annoying Aglient vibration sidebands (without care they contaminate all my vibration sensitive measurements). THD pretty good though, -135dB seconds, -126dB thirds, after fourths in the noise.

On a fanless brick supply the vibration should go way down. This could be a great op-amp rolling opportunity. And BTW this is just a chip and wire on ratshack board.

EDIT - Yup forgot the notch correction, still below -120dB I think, jeesh.
I know you guys are after bigger fish, but many people are reading this thread and also hoping for a simple yet good enough oscillator like the one above. So this result may feed the hope of the less picky ones (like me).

With an AD8597, night light bulb (120V/7W), and 39nF/4K02 RC values I got this result on a 5V P-P output. No notch filter yet. Circuit not encased. Measured with an USB EMU-0404. Good enough for me.
Attached Images
File Type: png osc3.PNG (62.7 KB, 180 views)
Old 4th April 2013, 04:24 AM   #2066
richiem is offline richiem  United States
diyAudio Member

A working link to the Brisbois oscillator schematic would be nice to see...
Old 4th April 2013, 04:39 AM   #2067
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Injection-lock a Wien-bridge oscillator | EDN
Old 4th April 2013, 08:45 AM   #2068
diyAudio Member

There are quit a few ultra oscillators for a single frequency. EDN and other have published them over the years as well as some IC companies. Those are fine for many people, I would think. Victor on eBay is the absolute best value around.... cant beat his work/performance and price.

BTW-- -120dB for harmonics is pretty standard for a really good oscillator, I've found. BUT that is not THD+N. The numbers I get with some of the hardware in existance can be tuned for a single freq extreamly low.... -140 to -150dB individual harmonic range and is done for a wide range of freqs via mods and upgrades. -130dB thd+N can be easily done now... for a single freq. and limited freq range (100-10K) -- NOT C weighted... 100Khz filter BW only. This is really good sh*t. :-)

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 4th April 2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: THD vs THD+N
Old 4th April 2013, 09:21 AM   #2069
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNMarsh View Post
There are quit a few ultra oscillators for a single frequency. EDN and other have published them over the years as well as some IC companies. Those are fine for many people, I would think. Victor on eBay is the absolute best value around.... cant beat his work/performance and price.

BTW-- -120dB for harmonics is pretty standard for a really good oscillator, I've found. BUT that is not THD+N. The numbers I get with some of the hardware in existance can be tuned for a single freq extreamly low.... -140 to -150dB individual harmonic range and is done for a wide range of freqs via mods and upgrades. -130dB thd+N can be easily done now... for a single freq. and limited freq range (100-10K) -- NOT C weighted... 100Khz filter BW only. This is really good sh*t. :-)

Thx-RNMarsh
Old 4th April 2013, 03:36 PM   #2070
diyAudio Member

Quote:
-130 dB THD+N can be easily done now... for a single freq. and limited freq range (100-10K) -- NOT C weighted... 100 kHz filter BW only.
I'm very keen to see your 100 Hz to 10 kHz oscillator which gives -130 dB THD+N in a 100 kHz bandwidth, plus the device/procedure used to measure this performance!

Samuel

Hide this!Advertise here!