Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator - Page 129 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2012, 08:32 AM   #1281
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davada View Post
Yes there is this.

I have a 7a22 which I can use to isolate section noise and calculate the 1/f noise.
Nice amplifier. Heard you miss it.

Cheers,
Yes, but there are still a few around I can borrow. Why didn't I grab a 7000 mainframe and full set of plug-ins when they were tossed, don't ask me?
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:13 PM   #1282
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott wurcer View Post
Yes, but there are still a few around I can borrow. Why didn't I grab a 7000 mainframe and full set of plug-ins when they were tossed, don't ask me?

There is still a lot of them around and they are even cheaper.
It is Christmas you know...
Old 23rd December 2012, 03:50 PM   #1283
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Why didn't I grab a 7000 mainframe and full set of plug-ins when they were tossed, don't ask me?
Quote:
There is still a lot of them around and they are even cheaper.
Yep--just recently scored my 3rd mainframe, a 7904A with plugins (incl. 7A22 and 7A19), for something like $175. Hard to beat for a >500 MHz instrument...

Samuel
Old 23rd December 2012, 04:51 PM   #1284
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

I find the 7000 stuff to be a great value and for the most part incredibly reliable. I have 4 mainframes including 2 7854's that are working fine after 30+ years plus something like 20 plugins. Its actually cheaper to get another from eBay than to attempt to fix them now so I just picked up a few spares. I do need to relube the interlocked switches occasionally.

The 5000 series scopes are an even better deal (read really cheap) and fine for most audio applications.
Old 23rd December 2012, 05:31 PM   #1285
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
I find the 7000 stuff to be a great value and for the most part incredibly reliable. I have 4 mainframes including 2 7854's that are working fine after 30+ years plus something like 20 plugins. Its actually cheaper to get another from eBay than to attempt to fix them now so I just picked up a few spares. I do need to relube the interlocked switches occasionally.

The 5000 series scopes are an even better deal (read really cheap) and fine for most audio applications.
Well no wonder you don't have any room on your bench.

Cheers,
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:18 PM   #1286
1audio is offline 1audio  United States
diyAudio Member

Touche! Guilty as charged. (But the plugins are under the bench and the spares are in storage). Here is a shot after getting Tim's (same as JC) help cleaning up. There are something like 18 7000 plugins visible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg workshop.jpg (558.2 KB, 159 views)
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:28 PM   #1287
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Mmm,

Some samplers, a 7L5 and many more

I agree that these things are very handy. They are common over here, just not as much as in the us. And much more $$$ if it's a better mainframe or non standard plugins.

What's in the 3 plugin mainframe on the bench, a digitiser?

I've got some of my own; 7623A with 7L5, 7603 with 7A13/7A22/7B53 and a 7704A with generic amps/timebases. Furher a 7623 and 7603 with some plugins as spare. They do need repairs from time to time. Slowly collecting more, but only stuff i can really use.
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:40 PM   #1288
richiem is offline richiem  United States
diyAudio Member

I worked for Tek in the early 60's. You could go the metals building and dig through the scrap for slightly blemished chassis parts and panels, and order or "borrow" electronic parts -- so I built my own 561A and plugins from the ground up....
Old 23rd December 2012, 09:53 PM   #1289
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1audio View Post
Touche! Guilty as charged. (But the plugins are under the bench and the spares are in storage). Here is a shot after getting Tim's (same as JC) help cleaning up. There are something like 18 7000 plugins visible.
Nice shop Demian. But still you only have a square foot to work on.
Mine is no better. Always having to shuffle stuff around.
At least you don't have to share the space with a cat box.
I moved upstairs.

Cheers,
Old 24th December 2012, 03:09 AM   #1290
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Groner View Post
Yep--just recently scored my 3rd mainframe, a 7904A with plugins (incl. 7A22 and 7A19), for something like $175. Hard to beat for a >500 MHz instrument...

Samuel
As a curious note, in the day Tek brought a prototype of the 7A13 to us for our stamp of approval. Back then designers were keen on direct comparison for DAC/ADC performance.

Our Tek sales rep got laid off and then got rehired in some kind of arrangement, a great guy and we go back years. I still scream for a real analog scope when he is around.

I must be happy with a vicarious man-cave fetish.

Hide this!Advertise here!