Low-distortion Audio-range Oscillator - Page 102 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2012, 03:14 AM   #1011
davada is offline davada  Canada
diyAudio Member

I put the M1 marker on the 2nd and then brought it down so it easier to see.
Attached Images
File Type: png 2nd H.PNG (446.4 KB, 228 views)
Old 4th December 2012, 04:28 AM   #1012
richiem is offline richiem  United States
diyAudio Member

@ Scott & Davada -- I'm impressed all the way around. Nice work.
Old 4th December 2012, 08:04 AM   #1013
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default The Goal is close -- low THD and variable freq -

Cut trace at pin 5? whats on pin 5?

[I did the 50K trim.]
Got that second down there quit aways. I hope the high freq THD are not much different. Then, we'll have a nice flexible, variable freq source.

I have been focused over on the analyzer... Its can be useful for general purpose (?) stand alone bench meter that will work down well below -120. Just a few IC and parts upgrades are all that is needed.

The lower THD limit for a working amp is about .00001%..... plus, external parts and contacts and the like are also at these numbers and you cant make anything real without such external parts.

Thx - RNMarsh [I too am very interested in the QA400.... esp if it is at least as good as this mod 339A]

Last edited by RNMarsh; 4th December 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old 4th December 2012, 08:13 AM   #1014
richiem is offline richiem  United States
diyAudio Member

Rick, I think David meant pin 6, to add a small isolating resistance between the output of the amp and the load of the rest of the circuitry. This has worked well for me a couple of times -- I used 47 ohms recently on the output of an LT1468. But I haven't done anything to my 339 as yet -- still have a few other fish to fry first.

We are far from the initial topic of this thread now -- time to make a thread on modding the HP 339A?
Old 4th December 2012, 12:58 PM   #1015
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiem View Post
Rick, I think David meant pin 6, to add a small isolating resistance between the output of the amp and the load of the rest of the circuitry. This has worked well for me a couple of times -- I used 47 ohms recently on the output of an LT1468. But I haven't done anything to my 339 as yet -- still have a few other fish to fry first.

We are far from the initial topic of this thread now -- time to make a thread on modding the HP 339A?
Hi Dick,

Yes I meant pin 6. Sorry. I worked late into the evening got tired.
It is the isolation resistor.

Well we can a have a moderator move all this to a new thread. But I forgot what the topic is. Is this really not fitting? Maybe it's evolved this way.

What does everyone say?

Cheers,
Old 4th December 2012, 01:38 PM   #1016
diyAudio Member

I think it would be cool to create new board(s) for this analyzer using state of the art parts and then offer a group buy on them. But, I haven't seen this beast so that may be completely impractical.
Old 4th December 2012, 01:43 PM   #1017
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkwright View Post
I think it would be cool to create new board(s) for this analyzer using state of the art parts and then offer a group buy on them. But, I haven't seen this beast so that may be completely impractical.
Hi Dirkwright,

At the least it would be incredibly expensive. I not convinced, for the total analyzer performance, it would be worth it. But who knows what will become of this greening.

Cheers,
Old 4th December 2012, 01:50 PM   #1018
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davada View Post
Hi Dirkwright,

At the least it would be incredibly expensive. I not convinced, for the total analyzer performance, it would be worth it. But who knows what will become of this greening.

Cheers,
Well, maybe just the oscillator board(s)? Power supply? I dunno, just throwing ideas out there.
Old 4th December 2012, 04:01 PM   #1019
diyAudio Member

Well, as the opening poster it does not matter to me. I like the conversation. Even though I have contributed little past my intitial question, I have faithfully followed this thread. I have learned a lot and serveral members have been very helpful and generous helping me when I did not understand something.

One good point about starting a separate thread is providing an easier search for members in the future specifically looking for HP 339A information.

I recently purchased an HP 339A that was supposed to be fully functional. Unfortunately, it came to me not functioning. I have read the manuals circuit descriptions and studied the schematic and started trouble shooting. I think I have narrowed it down but I am not sure.

Anyone familiar with the HP 339A and willing to provide me a little mentoring on the side via email please PM me.

Regarding my opening post, I have an oscillator that I am quite happy with for my work. It is the HP 239A (which is very similar to the oscillator in the HP 339A Analyzer). And should I need a lower distortion oscillator I have the Victor 1 KHz Oscillator.

Thanks to all!
Old 4th December 2012, 04:44 PM   #1020
RNMarsh is offline RNMarsh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Test Equipment forum --

I think just changing the title of the forum to cover low thd oscillator and analyzer mods - Test and Measurment forum; Hardware and software.
So far we have several oscillators to choose from - Victor and Scotts and there are several HP models which could be in the running for upgrades.. like the HP239A. And, there are several measurment products which could be reviewed and discussed. In other words, the full spectrum of sources and analyzers for audio test and measurment. Right now such hard/software is scattered all over the place... speaker builders and thier hard/software etc. Put all the test equipment in a forum (with sub groups) to discuss them and any DIY mods et al and help in using them. Might even include SIM programs (?) Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited by RNMarsh; 4th December 2012 at 05:13 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!