Where to buy Router Bits... ebay??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2012, 06:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Where to buy Router Bits... ebay???

Hi All,

I looked at the search results. I'm wondering where to get some bits I need. I need a minimum 1 1/2" flush trim and a 3/4 or 1" round over. Would also like to get some straight bits as well. They're so expensive though.

Anyone tried ebay, or are they junk. Where else is a good place. I live in Canada, so any .ca site recommendations would be nice. Or brick and mortar around here is even better IF the prices are fair. Thanks.

Ryan
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Tools in Canada

One of my favorite suppliers is Lee Valley Tools in Ottawa. If you're going to use the router bit more than once then good quality bits are well worth the expense.

Large radius rounding over bits and hand held routers are best approached with caution!

Cyclotronguy
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

With tools in general and cutting tools (router bits, saw blades, drills, etc.) in particular the old adage that you get what you pay for is very true. Stick to recognized quality brands like Freud...remember that the failure of a router bit spinning at 10,000 RPM is both a safety hazard and is liable to damage the material you are working. If you are planning to use a straight bit with a circle cutting template you will find that a solid carbide spiral bit will be much smoother and more durable than a straight bit with carbide inserts. A quick Google reveals many Canadian direct order sources for router bits.
Old 3rd January 2012, 07:54 PM   #4
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
Another vote for Lee Valley. You can also try Busy Bee Tools (they've one in Vancouver), and Canadian Woodworker (Surrey). Busy Bee's line of bits aren't as high quality as Lee Valley.

As for ebay, I'd honestly stay away, unless you're getting a well known brand. Not only do is the tool quality and precision often poor (you want the flush bit to cut flush, right?), but I've heard of poor quality bits that failed and sent metal shards flying across the shop.
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

WOW! All the safety thoughts of cheap bits never occured to me. Makes me uneasy about using my old 1/4 shank bits.

I'll peruse Lee Valley's site. Thanks.

Oh and kevinahcc20, nice tip on the solid carbide spiral bit. I never considered that. Using the straights in a circle cutting template is pretty much exactly what I planned, so I'll try and find a solid. Thanks.
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:24 PM   #6
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
Hi All,

I looked at the search results. I'm wondering where to get some bits I need. I need a minimum 1 1/2" flush trim and a 3/4 or 1" round over. Would also like to get some straight bits as well. They're so expensive though.

Anyone tried ebay, or are they junk. Where else is a good place. I live in Canada, so any .ca site recommendations would be nice. Or brick and mortar around here is even better IF the prices are fair. Thanks.

Ryan

Island Saw in Victoria* 250-385-5500
Quality Saw and Knife in Vancouver 604-872-1696
- FS Tool, CMT (orange) or Dimar well worth the extra few bucks over Freud, House of Tools, Canadian Tire etc. house brands.

Yup, the large diameter profile bits cost money, but unless you're milling thousands of lineal feet of hard / oily solid woods or Corian etc solid surface, one of those should last a lifetime. Just be sure your router has 1/2" arbor and can spin a big bit

*Tell Dave or Mike who sent ya, they might sharpen their pencils.
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:35 PM   #7
elizard is offline elizard  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to elizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
Quality Saw and Knife in Vancouver 604-872-1696
- FS Tool, CMT (orange) or Dimar well worth the extra few bucks over Freud, House of Tools, Canadian Tire etc. house brands.

Yup, the large diameter profile bits cost money, but unless you're milling thousands of lineal feet of hard / oily solid woods or Corian etc solid surface, one of those should last a lifetime. Just be sure your router has 1/2" arbor and can spin a big bit

*Tell Dave or Mike who sent ya, they might sharpen their pencils.
No experience with router bits, but I use a combo FS Tools blade and a melamine CMT blade, and I'm extremely happy with both. A bit on the expensive side compared to other blades, but they produce an excellent cut, and will outlast me with a few sharpenings as I go along. If their bits are anything like their blades, I wouldn't hesitate spending the extra few dollars.
Old 3rd January 2012, 08:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll take a trip there sometime. Thanks. Also had a look at their website. Yikes, might be an expensive trip. Likely worth it, just kind of a cheapo ya know.
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:40 PM   #9
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxedocivic View Post
I'll take a trip there sometime. Thanks. Also had a look at their website. Yikes, might be an expensive trip. Likely worth it, just kind of a cheapo ya know.

Don't even think about the Festool - gorgeous Germanic craftsmanship, but $1000 for a router?

and if you need a small bit of material run with larger profiles that you can't justify buying, DaveD knows a guy...
Old 3rd January 2012, 09:48 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
and if you need a small bit of material run with larger profiles that you can't justify buying, DaveD knows a guy...

Hide this!Advertise here!