Workbench Top - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd December 2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Lavcat is offline Lavcat  United States
diyAudio Member

Well, my top came, but I can't lift it. I certainly cannot get it up the stairs.
Old 23rd December 2011, 04:33 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Why wouldn't the raw maple be ok as is ? I would think it would not be subject to
static build up.
Old 23rd December 2011, 08:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Static accumulates on non-conductors. No path to permit them to equalize.
Doc
Old 24th December 2011, 04:38 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

A strong friend was kind enough to come over tonight and set the workbench top on the table for me. It is quite a slab of wood. It was all he could do to get it up the stairs. Sadly he found the beer too bitter.

Next project is to oil the surface before I start using it. I have to figure out the best kind of oil. Maybe mineral oil?

I got the surface for machining and electronics projects but I'd really love to use it for baking bread. Probably should not try to use it for both however.
Old 24th December 2011, 04:47 AM   #15
...truth seeker...
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have to figure out the best kind of oil. Maybe mineral oil?
Don't do it! Mineral oil will never "dry". Consider an oil that will catalyze. You want cross-links to form in the oil to provide more durability and seal the surface. For bread baking or any contact with food try this:

Buy General Finishes Salad Bowl Finish Pint at Woodcraft

"Salad Bowl Finish" is the same material I use on cutting boards. Get the pad sander out and work through the grits up to 320 or 500...then oil...several coats.

Last edited by Ed LaFontaine; 24th December 2011 at 04:51 AM.
Old 24th December 2011, 06:35 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the URL. I followed a lot of the links on Woodcraft. I don't see why I would want a drying finish vs. a non-drying finish for the top. I checked the manufacturer's site and they say to use mineral oil. The top is probably going to get machine oil splattered on it anyhow. I have a Wusthof branded product that's a mixture of oil and beeswax which has worked nicely on some kitchen surfaces (and on my guitar neck and bridge). I am still thinking straight mineral oil will be the best finish for the top though, and mineral oil is how it was treated when it was manufactured.

While I am serious about my bread, and would love to have a surface like this for baking, I was joking about dual purpose. No one would want swarf in a sandwich, not to mention little bits of solder.
Old 24th December 2011, 09:19 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Update: about forty years ago I bought a bottle of mineral oil. I thought it was enough to last. Well, I found the bottle... lying on its side. (Note to self: do not store mineral oil bottles on their sides.) It being a nice day, if a bit chilly, I hiked out to the drug store and came home with a brand new quart of mineral oil. Lovingly I rubbed most of it into the maple using my bare hands. Most sensual experience I've had in a while -- probably since the night a few weeks ago when way overtired I fixed a pizza and confused the extra virgin olive oil for the Dawn detergent. I jest not. Really nice for the cuticles.

Got me wondering what would be the best oil to use for tonearm anti-skating fluid, but I realize this is not the forum.

So the top is oiled. I could not reach all of the underside, as I cannot lift the thing. I hope that will not cause a future problem with warping. I'm going to let it sit overnight before doing more with it. I must say the wood looks really pretty, and you should feel my hands!
Old 25th December 2011, 07:48 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default There is a downside

Being concerned about the dire warnings of warpage if all surfaces were not oiled, I (with some difficulty) lifted the top up onto its rear edge to expose the bottom. I knew the bottom was unfinished. What I did not know was that there were four metal staples sticking out. These destroyed the cheap but otherwise attractive laminated surface on which the new top was mounted. And could have done a job on someone's body parts, e.g. mine.

Boos has been in business long enough that I would have expected better. I am not a fan of overly detailed safety warnings, but a simple note to beware of the sharp staples would have been appreciated. Particularly as there was a two page sheet warning about proper oiling. Is it just me, or would others expect a wood product to come with staples in it?

Nonetheless I carefully oiled the bottom as instructed. But I did *not* use my bare hands.

Hide this!Advertise here!