Measurement Mic - USB Phantom Power? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2011, 11:56 AM   #1
DrDyna is offline DrDyna  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Measurement Mic - USB Phantom Power?

Hey Guys!

I've been a hobbyist for a while now, but I think the time has come to get a decent starter measurement mic.

I've decided that I will get either the Dayton EMM-6 or the Behringer ECM8000.

I've been shopping around for phantom power supplies, and I've noticed there are several nifty looking USB ones, such as this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphon...543028&sr=1-11

How do you guys think the performance of one of these would be for accurate measurements? Does anyone have one?
Old 25th October 2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That one works well. I bought one for a friend and he likes it a lot.
Short of getting a USB soundcard with phantom power, that's the way to go.
Old 25th October 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That is what I was hoping, just making sure nobody said "No, it's response sucks!" Gonna grab it this week along with the EMM-6 I think.

Thanks very much Pano!
Old 25th October 2011, 03:19 PM   #4
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out for you. It looks like a good option for a lot of folks who want to get into measuring.
Old 1st January 2012, 12:09 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Just a quick follow up. I've got my hands on the EMM-6 and the Blue Icicle. I've been working on my tripod rig, which I think I have set the way I want it, with a log steel rod threaded at one end for mounting the microphone clip.

I took a few preliminary measurements just to see how the calibration looked and to make sure the icicle had good bandwidth. So far so good. In the next week, I'm going to drag some speakers outside and try to bust out some good measurements.

For now, I can say that this setup seems to work great for less than $100 bucks, I don't think it can be beat.
Old 1st January 2012, 02:35 PM   #6
tvrgeek is offline tvrgeek  United States
diyAudio Member

Buy a calibrated mic. Spend the extra $60 up front or you will be sorry later. No kidding. They are no where near as flat as you think. If you are doing ported speakers, you may want two. I used my calibrated one to make up a calibration for my first one I bought without cal. Same for the Panasonic capsule which was my first mic.

I started with an Audio Buddy feeding my sound card. Not great. I tried one of the USP cylinders. Worked, but still was not happy. My software was not going to be happy with two USB mics. I went over the top and use a e-mu 1616. Lower noise, lower distortion. It serves as a complete A2D D2A with the addition of a buffer between my voltage divider probes and the e-mu as it is 600 Ohms on the line in.
Old 2nd January 2012, 10:17 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrgeek View Post
Buy a calibrated mic. Spend the extra $60 up front or you will be sorry later. No kidding. They are no where near as flat as you think. If you are doing ported speakers, you may want two. I used my calibrated one to make up a calibration for my first one I bought without cal. Same for the Panasonic capsule which was my first mic.

I started with an Audio Buddy feeding my sound card. Not great. I tried one of the USP cylinders. Worked, but still was not happy. My software was not going to be happy with two USB mics. I went over the top and use a e-mu 1616. Lower noise, lower distortion. It serves as a complete A2D D2A with the addition of a buffer between my voltage divider probes and the e-mu as it is 600 Ohms on the line in.
The EMM-6 is calibrated.
Old 2nd January 2012, 04:39 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Excellent. Now you can go outside in the dead of night and try to measure something, only to find out how NOISY it is. I live about 2 miles from highway so the sub 100Hz is terrible. You never notice it during the day from all the other noise. But then again, measuring a woofer outside exactly where it is going to be used is pretty useless anyway.
Old 2nd January 2012, 09:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

What are you measuring Dr? Your listening room? Just curious, as I am working with my son on a bedroom converted to recording/mixing space and learning about treatments and measuring. I think the measuring could be overkill for this purpose but it looks like fun and something new to learn. All I'm lacking is a mic and I'm considering getting a calibrated Behringer ECM8000 from Cross Spectrum Labs... Cross-Spectrum - Calibrated Behringer ECM8000 Microphones for Sale. And using Room EQ Wizard analysis software REW - Room EQ Wizard Home Page with an maudio USB external sound card. Who knows where it could lead. Anyway I'd like to hear your thoughts and details about your measurement project. And why did you select the EMM-6 over the Behringer?

Thanks!
Old 3rd January 2012, 12:17 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I bought my ECM from Cross Spectrum. I use TrueRta and SoundEasy for my measurements. When working on a room, measuring is just a shortcut. My ears tell the rest.

I believe the two mics come out of the same Chinese factory.

Hide this!Advertise here!