[HELP] C/N

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
im research how to measure carrier to noise (C/N) in CATV and i searched google to find example project. Most of the projects use spectrum analyzer (SA) to analysis broad band signals. I searched spectrum analyzer in this 4rum and really speaking, i dont find project using microcontroller (AVR, PIC or 8051) do this work although there are many projects deal with a question, most of them really hard to execute. Broad band signal how does microcontroller processes?
So, i post this thread to ask you this question for help.

Direct measurement with microcontrollers/DSP's requires a pretty fast ADC, so as oshifis said, usually its a combination of specific analogue circuits/filters and a microcontroller, which simply determines how the analogue parts behave, as well as measure the voltages from them.

For a complete all-digital spectrum analyser in the >1MHz range, even a 32-bit ARM7 would struggle, whic is why they often use DSP's, or for ultra high speed, FPGA's. PIC's/AVRs as cool as they are, are not designed for heavy DSP (but they can do it with some clever code). They're microcontrollers, for control of IO, and peripherals, not processors per se :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.