diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   can i get by with a heath-kit o-scope? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/196871-can-i-get-heath-kit-o-scope.html)

AKHeathen 19th September 2011 01:34 AM

can i get by with a heath-kit o-scope?

ok, may sound like a weird/off request, but long story-short, heath-kit is part of my heritage, and i'm looking to buy an oscilloscope for amp repair, trying to keep in the $100-200 range. looking through used scopes on ebay. if i have to replace parts (caps, pots, etc) that is fine with me, but i really want to see heath-kit badged on my bench, but i'm not going to just buy one that i can't use..... any help would be nice, model #'s a plus.
thanks
-Heath H-

thaumaturge 19th September 2011 05:22 AM

Any triggered sweep scope is a plus for trouble shooting. But in my recolection Heath only offered a 5Mhz scope kit. That will do for tracing audio through an amp and looking at ripple on a supply and visually observing where an amp starts to clip to do signal to noise measurements... but that's about it. Wheras you can pick up a good used 100MHz Tek, Telequipment or Hitachi for the same price. Your choice.
Doc

cliffyk 19th September 2011 04:40 PM

Heath had the IO-45xx (Instrument Oscilloscope) series that included 5, 10, and 15Hz dual trace triggered models, the IO-4550 was the 10MHz unit (I have one I built in 1978).

They also made an IO-42xx series that included 5, 10, 25 and 35 MHz dual trace instruments, the 35MHz unit had delayed sweep, and the IO-4360 a 60MHz 3-trace model.

The 4550 is very common as it was included in a number of their training packages (that's how I got mine) and shows up an eBay all the time--generally overpriced with sellers asking $100 to $150.

As the previous poster stated you can buy much newer 20MHz+, and same or newer vintage 100MHz scopes, in the $100 to $200 range.

Ron E 19th September 2011 05:03 PM

I had an IO-4555 I gave away recently, didn't work right.
Get a Heath voltmeter, signal generator, etc. Stick with a better brand name for a used scope - remember the heath stuff was put together by amateurs ;)

Lavcat 19th September 2011 06:29 PM

I have a Heath scope that I built. I don't think I've powered it up in forty years.

amptramp 22nd September 2011 01:57 AM

I have acquired a number of oscilloscopes over the years from the London Vintage Radio Club (London Ontario Canada, not London England) which I have used for various purposes. The latest was a Telequipment D-54 that I got for about $10 at their "junk in the trunk" sale. There are a lot of companies exiting the electronics business. Search the industrial auctions and you may come up with a lot of stuff cheap.