Handled oscilloscope - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2011, 08:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Handled oscilloscope

Hi friends,

I need to get an oscilloscope for my future DIY devices, and because I have the 2 following constraints:

a-.I would like to save as much space as possible
b-.I work in 2 different places (in my house during the week and in another house located away during the weekend, si i would like to bring it with me)

I plan to avoid the classical oscilloscopes and would like to go to a handled portable oscilloscope, such as this one for example (the Fluke are too expensive for my first one...):

DSO8060 Five-in-one Handheld Oscilloscope_Hatek Electronic co.,Ltd._http://www.hantek.com.cn

I do not trust the PC based oscilloscopes but I would like to know if some of you have already used a handled oscilloscope and what is your feedback. I do not need a "state of the art" oscilloscope, so it may be suitable for my use ?

Thanks for your replies,
Old 15th June 2011, 09:03 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Hantek is more than just a portable scope, and looks like a pretty good piece of gear. Do you know what it costs? I would expect it to be at least 1000 dollars. 60 Mhz,
math functions, lots of automatic measurment, case, probes, computer interface, ect. I have to add that while I have herd of the brand, I have never used one.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:33 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

You did not mention your budget. Have a look at the Seedstudio Quad, at US$200: I want it! E
Old 16th June 2011, 01:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Some cheaper options:

DPScope
SeeedStudio DSO Nano v2
SeeedStudio DSO Quad
UNI-T UT81b
Old 16th June 2011, 01:23 AM   #5
49 - for the 18th time
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechief View Post
The Hantek is more than just a portable scope, and looks like a pretty good piece of gear. Do you know what it costs? I would expect it to be at least 1000 dollars.
$520 + $5 shipping from this source.

Hantek DSO8060 60MHz Five-in-one Handheld Oscilloscope | eBay

Here is another for $250 100 MHz
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATTEN-Digital-Os...item45fa8936b7

Last edited by c2cthomas; 16th June 2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old 16th June 2011, 04:02 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Yep the Attens are nice for the money.
Old 16th June 2011, 12:45 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Some cheaper options:

DPScope
SeeedStudio DSO Nano v2
SeeedStudio DSO Quad
UNI-T UT81b
I do not like the PC based solutions...

Thank you very much for the helpful advices you gave me !
Old 16th June 2011, 04:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Only DPScope is PC based....but it's "small", though with the computer, it technically get's much larger.
Old 16th June 2011, 05:06 PM   #9
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually, most of the classic scopes are quite portable. They're not pocket scopes, but if you travel by car it's really no biggie. Even if you travel by bicycle, you can just throw one in a backpack and be done. I'd look at the TEK 2215, 2465B, etc.

For $500, I bet you can get one of the "breadbox" (my term) oscilloscopes. That'd be the smaller, benchtop scopes with color LCD screens. Those are really nice. That'd be the TDS1000 or TDS2000-series. It's so nice with the color screens when you have more than one signal on the screen. It's not a must have, but certainly is a nice-to-have.

For audio work, 50~100 MHz bandwidth is plenty. Actually, as I live pretty close to an FM broadcast radio station, I have to limit the bandwidth of my 400 MHz scope to 20 MHz when taking critical measurements as the signal from the FM transmitter results in about 10 mVpp of signal pick-up by my scope probes.

I have a Fluke 92 handheld scope that I picked out of a junk pile. I never use it. 1) because it gobbles up batteries like there is no tomorrow and 2) because the user-interface sucks when you're used to a real scope. It's too slow to have to step through menus to change a setting which on a normal scope can be done by the turn of a knob or push of a button.

I have used fancy PC scopes including a very expensive 200 MHz PXI scope from National Instruments. The front-end of PC scopes (including the NI one) suck. They are generally limited to 0.1~10 V signals. All my analog scopes go to 2 mV/div or 5 mV/div. You may not think you ever need to measure anything that low, but you'd be surprised what you'll get into once you have to debug a circuit for instability, high noise, ground hum, etc.

~Tom

Last edited by tomchr; 16th June 2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 17th June 2011, 06:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default Hantek

Someone tested some Hantek Dso 2090/2150/2250?

I need a oscilloscope for my diy stuff (tube), and seem to be ok...

Alberto.

Hide this!Advertise here!