diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   good wire stripper for 26 gauge, which tool? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/188800-good-wire-stripper-26-gauge-tool.html)

gychang 11th May 2011 03:44 AM

good wire stripper for 26 gauge, which tool?

is there a good tool to strip small hookup wire?, these things are not solid but stranded also and having lots of problems, Please recommend a tool to help this newbie.

thanks,

gychang

planet10 11th May 2011 03:52 AM

A Weller Stripi... i can take a picture, they are supposedly hard to find (Allen Wright gifted me mine)

dave

planet10 11th May 2011 04:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
An eBay auction

Weller stripi - Abisolierer | eBay

dave

scott17 11th May 2011 04:39 AM

The T-6 or T-7

T-Stripper Wire Strippers

Stocker 11th May 2011 05:32 AM

I've been using Ideal Stripmasters since the wire shop at my last Navy command introduced me to them. They are a bit pricey but an individual hobbyist user should get a couple of lifetimes of use out of them. Random ebay auction to illustrate the type:

Ideal 45-098 Stripmaster Wire Stripper #20 to #30 AWG | eBay

gychang 12th May 2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by planet10 (Post 2568042)

ended in Germany, couldn't locate one in US. Any suggestions?

gychang

gychang 12th May 2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scitizen17 (Post 2568060)

thanks, will see if local distributor is available, will go after T-7.

gychang

bear 12th May 2011 01:53 PM

The T-7 type tool will work I guess, but it is not very precise... although I suppose someone could be making one with tight tolerances...

The other one, the "Stripmaster" is made by a great many manufacturers over the years and even today, the better ones are very very good and precise. Worth having if you want a quality tool and intend to strip a fair amount of wire.

You can use a sharp razor blade and gently roll the wire or the blade over the wire, not nicking the copper and strip thin wire that way... a little practice scoring the insulation and you can do it very quickly and well.

The best stripper I own is an unknown mfr, but a hand held gun thing with rotary blades. Wish I could buy a few more of them... it is perfect every time and works on teflon wire, which most other strippers have a hard time with... never seen another one like it!

_-_-bear

gychang 12th May 2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bear (Post 2569716)

You can use a sharp razor blade and gently roll the wire or the blade over the wire, not nicking the copper and strip thin wire that way... a little practice scoring the insulation and you can do it very quickly and well.

_-_-bear

thanks will have to practice. gychang

Cal Weldon 12th May 2011 08:25 PM

When I get home I will show you the one I settled on after owning many. Not cheap but...