good wire stripper for 26 gauge, which tool?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Attachments

• wellerStripi.png
    wellerStripi.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 314
The T-7 type tool will work I guess, but it is not very precise... although I suppose someone could be making one with tight tolerances...

The other one, the "Stripmaster" is made by a great many manufacturers over the years and even today, the better ones are very very good and precise. Worth having if you want a quality tool and intend to strip a fair amount of wire.

You can use a sharp razor blade and gently roll the wire or the blade over the wire, not nicking the copper and strip thin wire that way... a little practice scoring the insulation and you can do it very quickly and well.

The best stripper I own is an unknown mfr, but a hand held gun thing with rotary blades. Wish I could buy a few more of them... it is perfect every time and works on teflon wire, which most other strippers have a hard time with... never seen another one like it!

_-_-bear

Cheap Stripper

Well...

This works better on solid than on stranded, but...

About 45 years ago I found that my thumbnail and index finger make a really good stripper for #24 or #26 wire. I developed the technique while working in the telco industry with its millions of miles of #24 solid wire.

Keep your thumbnail shorter than the end of your finger, but just long enough that if you dig it into your index finger hard it still hurts.

Note that this technique doesn't work well on teflon wire or magnet wire. You will injure yourself before you manage to scrape that stuff off a wire.

I've got one of these and although it's simple it actually works very well:

KLEIN TOOLS 11057 WIRE STRIPPER/CUTTER, 20-30 AWG | eBay

I was having problems with teflon insulation on fine solid wire using a knife or scalpel. The blade would lightly score the wire, leaving a place for the wire to fatigue and crack.

For cheap, it can't be beat. Klein tools are solid.

Two tricks I've seen for teflon, a heat stripper, and the opposite. Dip the wire in LN2 and crack off the insulation, cryo's the end at the same time. :D

You can use a sharp razor blade and gently roll the wire or the blade over the wire, not nicking the copper and strip thin wire that way... a litt

Best thing for doing that are these guys:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I just let out about an inch of blade, hold it in my right hand with the blade facing upward, place the wire on it at the point I want to strip it, and then using my left hand and my right thumb to guide it, roll the wire over the blade.

se

My favorite wire strippers have always been the Clauss Cutlery No-Nik line. Unfortunately, it seems they have stopped making them.

For 26 gauge stranded, you'd want either the NN.021 or NN.023.

You can still find them new on eBay.

se

Steve,

All we do is argue. Ripley (Miller brand) is the current vendor of the formerly Clauss No-Nik wire strippers. They are still the best.

ES

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.