good wire stripper for 26 gauge, which tool?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm with Steve, best stripper is a straight edge blade, or a stanley knife. roll over index finger and blade then pull off with fingernail. works on just about anything, not phased by ptfe in the slightest; just need practice to do it cleanly and quickly.

i do it many many times a day

i'm with Steve, best stripper is a straight edge blade, or a stanley knife. roll over index finger and blade then pull off with fingernail. works on just about anything, not phased by ptfe in the slightest; just need practice to do it cleanly and quickly.

i do it many many times a day

I have the technique down now, use the blade and fingers, works well. cheap!

gychang

I have the technique down now, use the blade and fingers, works well. cheap!

gychang

glad you like this advanced technique :D

once you have the technique, there really isnt any need for extra tools, you get a better feel for it too.

with thin solid core wire i will sometimes use a slightly dulled blade to reduce the risk of scoring the wire. its not really that big a problem though considering you usually solder over it and add strain relief (at least i do to every joint pretty much)

If u have do it in hundreds, better buy one of these.

Gajanan

Attachments

• stripper1.jpg
    stripper1.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 101
For anything smaller than 20gauge you can use a lighter. Just light up the end you wish to strip and hold it to the flame for about 2secs and quickly pinch the end with your thumb and index finger and pull away (trust me it will be a little warm, but you'll get the hang of it). Its so easy that you'll do it everytime you strip them wires.

I learn this from a friend of mine that has no tools. I always use to use my teeth, but now I just go for the lighter. Am pretty sure someone here has done it with a lighter before.

The commercial standard seems to be the Ideal strippers. They're accurate and won't nick the strands if used properly. When new, they do well with Teflon insulation, though a thermal stripper is the cats pajamas for that. Though some despise them, sometimes I like the automatic strippers. The best ones don't have blades like the Ideal, but a sort of wide piece of metal where the cutting edge is in the center. They're only for freehand use and don't get into tight spots at all. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that any manual method using knifes and such will leave at least microscopic nicks on the strands that are highly undesirable. You'll fail your wiring and soldering course if any nicks are present!

I've always wanted an automatic stripper for hard enameled wire, but those come a bit dear. They usually have orbiting and spinning abrasive drums.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.