diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Equipment & Tools (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/)
-   -   Cheapest(best) speaker measuring tool (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/equipment-tools/188564-cheapest-best-speaker-measuring-tool.html)

mclsound 7th May 2011 01:13 PM

Cheapest(best) speaker measuring tool

I was wondering what the best all around tool for DIY speaker tweaking is in both
DIGITAL
and
ANALOG.

I have built a 4way system and had the basics of the crossovers built and now I was wondering what tools to look for from this point on.
I have a 2496 i picked up a year ago,but was wondering what else
Analog-(Ossiliscope-what one?,etc.)
Digital-??
thanks guys

Jack Caldwell 7th May 2011 01:26 PM

Fuzzmeasure 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by mclsound (Post 2564467)
I was wondering what the best all around tool for DIY speaker tweaking is in both
DIGITAL
and
ANALOG.

I have built a 4way system and had the basics of the crossovers built and now I was wondering what tools to look for from this point on.
I have a 2496 i picked up a year ago,but was wondering what else
Analog-(Ossiliscope-what one?,etc.)
Digital-??
thanks guys

- Fuzzmeasure 3 running on a Mac
- Dayton EMM-6 calibrated mic from Parts Express (only $40 !!)
- an inexpensive but decent usb mic pre-amp like the A.R.T.

The above suite will give you some very powerful measurement tools for little outlay.

ByronInPortland 7th May 2011 03:20 PM

I agree with Jack that the Dayton EMM-6 is your best deal for a measurement microphone. The Behringer ECM8000 is very similar in design and price. Coincidentally, I'm also using the A.R.T. Phantom I power supply.

I hate to say this, but I think you should build a Wallin Jig, and download Speaker Workshop. The Wallin jig is just a box of switches and resistors which makes measurements more convenient. Here's the web site: Eric Wallin's Internet Homepage
Speaker Workshop is about the most frustrating software I've ever worked with, especially when used to take measurements. Mr. Wallin's tutorial is not very helpful because it is written specifically for the modified soundcard he was using at the time, and will not be applicable to any other sound card. However, if you persevere, and figure it out, you will have a very powerful design and measurement software package for free. Driver testing, T/S parameter calculation, box and X-over design and speaker measurement are all integrated in one program. I've also gotten useful help on this forum with S.W. so don't hesitate to post questions when you get stuck. After I figured out S.W. I learned about a different manual, here: http://www.esnips.com/web/SpeakerW/
I've not read it, but it may be better than Mr. Wallin's tutorial.
I also recently downloaded HOLM Impulse. I've heard good things about it, but not played with it yet.

Good Luck!

ByronInPortland 7th May 2011 03:47 PM

I just tried to download the S.W. manual from esnips and it wanted me to install some software and create an account so I decided it's not worth the risk. I'm not endorsing esnips.

mclsound 21st May 2011 10:17 AM

thanks guys.....this is all there is though?

stokessd 22nd May 2011 06:46 PM

I also use Fuzzmeasure, but in addition to that, I wrote a lot of measurement and analysis software myself. IT's free and works exactly the way I want to.

Sheldon

planet10 22nd May 2011 07:47 PM

I use Fuzzmeasure as well, and have cheap Beringer & Dayton calibrated mics and Edirol FA66 Firewire ADC/DAC.

Room EQ Wizard is free & dual platform.

dave

dickl 25th May 2011 04:42 AM

Fuzzmeasure sounds good.....but it is for a MAC. Is there an equivalent for a real computer?

planet10 25th May 2011 04:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dickl (Post 2582843)
...but it is for a MAC. Is there an equivalent for a real computer?

Usually that's what the Mac guys say -- OS X is proper UNIX after all.

It is far too hard to support Windows if you are only 1 guy... much easier to write & support this kind of software on a Mac.

You could look at Arta. I'm going to be trying that under CrossOver Mac or XP under Virtual Box just because they do a proper waterfall with Periods on the time scale.

dave

ra7 25th May 2011 05:55 AM

Nobody mentioned HolmImpulse? Surprising.

HolmImpulse or Arta. Work wonderfully in Windows.