Cheapest(best) speaker measuring tool

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering what the best all around tool for DIY speaker tweaking is in both
DIGITAL
and
ANALOG.

I have built a 4way system and had the basics of the crossovers built and now I was wondering what tools to look for from this point on.
I have a 2496 i picked up a year ago,but was wondering what else
Analog-(Ossiliscope-what one?,etc.)
Digital-??
thanks guys

Fuzzmeasure 3

I was wondering what the best all around tool for DIY speaker tweaking is in both
DIGITAL
and
ANALOG.

I have built a 4way system and had the basics of the crossovers built and now I was wondering what tools to look for from this point on.
I have a 2496 i picked up a year ago,but was wondering what else
Analog-(Ossiliscope-what one?,etc.)
Digital-??
thanks guys
- Fuzzmeasure 3 running on a Mac
- Dayton EMM-6 calibrated mic from Parts Express (only $40 !!)
- an inexpensive but decent usb mic pre-amp like the A.R.T.

The above suite will give you some very powerful measurement tools for little outlay.

I agree with Jack that the Dayton EMM-6 is your best deal for a measurement microphone. The Behringer ECM8000 is very similar in design and price. Coincidentally, I'm also using the A.R.T. Phantom I power supply.

I hate to say this, but I think you should build a Wallin Jig, and download Speaker Workshop. The Wallin jig is just a box of switches and resistors which makes measurements more convenient. Here's the web site: Eric Wallin's Internet Homepage
Speaker Workshop is about the most frustrating software I've ever worked with, especially when used to take measurements. Mr. Wallin's tutorial is not very helpful because it is written specifically for the modified soundcard he was using at the time, and will not be applicable to any other sound card. However, if you persevere, and figure it out, you will have a very powerful design and measurement software package for free. Driver testing, T/S parameter calculation, box and X-over design and speaker measurement are all integrated in one program. I've also gotten useful help on this forum with S.W. so don't hesitate to post questions when you get stuck. After I figured out S.W. I learned about a different manual, here: http://www.esnips.com/web/SpeakerW/
I've not read it, but it may be better than Mr. Wallin's tutorial.
I also recently downloaded HOLM Impulse. I've heard good things about it, but not played with it yet.

Good Luck!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...but it is for a MAC. Is there an equivalent for a real computer?

Usually that's what the Mac guys say -- OS X is proper UNIX after all.

It is far too hard to support Windows if you are only 1 guy... much easier to write & support this kind of software on a Mac.

You could look at Arta. I'm going to be trying that under CrossOver Mac or XP under Virtual Box just because they do a proper waterfall with Periods on the time scale.

dave

Just another Moderator
Joined 2003
Paid Member
There is also Claudio's tutorial (I haven't used it but he helped Jay with the Unofficial Speaker Workshop manual (Claudio was the person who uploaded to esnips I think). Esnips didn't originally require you to install software to download it. http://www.claudionegro.com/download/SW%20tutorial%20ENG.zip

I have a copy of the 2nd edition of the Unofficial Speaker workshop manual. It is 18MB so I think it is well past the limit that I can attach (and it does have a copyright message at the begining so I shouldn't anyway).

I've PM'ed Jay (the author) to see whether I would be able to upload it somewhere where it can be downloaded without any hassle (I think I have 100MB of web space with my ISP account). I gave some input to Jay for the 2nd edition http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...ting-speaker-workshop-manual-2nd-edition.html

Also the thread I started when I was having problems I think has some good info in it as well :) (from other people ;) ) http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/62568-problems-acoustic-measurements-3.html

I actually now do my measurements in holmimpulse export and import into speaker workshop to do the crossover modelling. Holmimpulse seems to give me more consistent results for impulse measurements that I was able to get with SW.

Tony.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.