Soldering iron bit rescue - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2011, 02:58 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

I just replate mine with heavy pure dull nickel plating... maybe .001" or more (much much heavier than standard plating). They then last for years...
Old 12th June 2011, 04:28 AM   #12
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
These are hand-worked 1206 and TSSOP24s on a home-made board, done with this iron. I knew a couple of women at Racal I rated as better than me with a soldering iron, but they did it all day, every day.
Looks like you're ready for a shot of flux cleaner.

~Tom
Old 12th June 2011, 04:40 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakibaki View Post
These are hand-worked 1206 and TSSOP24s on a home-made board, done with this iron. I knew a couple of women at Racal I rated as better than me with a soldering iron, but they did it all day, every day.
I do mean to rain a little on your parade. I wouldn't take a picture of anything that looked like that. Your board is OK and the TSSOP solder is adequate but the through hole is pretty sad. Flux remover and a little action with wick would do wonders for that.

G
Old 12th June 2011, 07:19 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

If you can get a Quick soldering station over there it should be cheap, I have their copy of the Hako836A, and it is magnificent, calibrateable, very accurate and repeatable temps, I have left it on overnight many times and over the years I had it I think I replaced one bit. And the iron was just over $30, also comes with a nice cast iron holder.
Old 12th June 2011, 06:04 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by auplater View Post
I just replate mine with heavy pure dull nickel plating... maybe .001" or more (much much heavier than standard plating). They then last for years...
Last for years... you just don't use them enough! Now that bits are hitting $5 ea. I just might start doing it myself. Thanks.
Old 17th June 2011, 07:16 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

I use goot ceramic soldering tips for my soldering irons. Only one word for goot.. AWSOME.
you can easily pick one of them for about 6$.
Old 17th June 2011, 08:16 PM   #17
forr is offline forr  France
diyAudio Member

I bought two old soldering stations on bric-a-brac sales, this was a rela discover I won't never go back to temperature unregulated irons. The first one is a Magnastat Weller, the second, even better, is a Pace MBR-200E, which I found incredibly comfortable. However its tip is at the end of its life and despite having spent hours on the net searching for a replacement among various manufacturers, I couldn't find any with the requirement of 1/8" shank (original Pace part numbers : 1121-0130, 1121-0131 and 1121-0132). I will be happy if anyone can help (Europe).

Hide this!Advertise here!