wavetek 166 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd May 2011, 11:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default wavetek 166

Probably should have asked this first but any.... just bought a wavetek 166 Sweep Pulse/Function Generator on ebay for $100 wondering if I paid too much? it was listed as an untested item but "looked" in good condition and was told the mechanical functions were all in order/smooth/etc. are these things fairly reliable? is there a place to get replacement parts if need be? i've read good things about these units on the boards, trying to collect more gear...

this is my first post...nooooob that's been lurking for a while, learning a lot.

thanks!

spence
Old 4th May 2011, 03:54 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I like Waveteks. They suffer from the same stupid mechanical problems and age issues as anything else, but they make a great general purpose function generator. The sine is derived from a triangle, so the THD isn't as low as one might desire. You should be able to download a service manual without too much trouble. I can't comment on prices as I've seen them go for next to nothing and very much higher. A clean working example is certainly worth $100 if you don't have a generator, but I've never actually seen one that didn't have at least some minor issue that needed to be fixed up.
Old 5th May 2011, 12:03 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Spence
full Manual for your Wavetek 166 is available free here:
http://bama.edebris.com/download/wav.../166_Mar80.pdf

Mik

Hide this!Advertise here!