vacuum tube hardware question - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th April 2011, 03:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question vacuum tube hardware question

Hi,

My parents are travelling to the US promptly, and I would ask them to bring me a tool for making holes on chassis for vacuum tube sockets.

Please, could you advise product and seller for this purchase?

I cannot find a punch or wathever here in Argentina to perform this task with detail.

Thank you.

Best Regards,
M.
Old 25th April 2011, 05:58 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You need a chassis punch. Made by a variety of companies. Best known is Greelee. You will need to specify a size for the punch (hole). You might try DigiKey, Newark, Allied, etc. Grainger also carries them as well. The particular size you need may need to be ordered by the supplier.

Example: Radio Daze-Tools and http://www.electricsupplyonline.com/...-knockouts.php

paul
Old 26th April 2011, 12:34 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default thanks

Thank you Paul. Best Regards, M.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:02 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Be aware the Greenlee "7/8"" punch, is actually .895" instead of .875". This is to allow clearance for the conduit thread burrs through the hole. The fact that you are installing a 9 pin socket, not a conduit, doesn't affect anything. I bought a no-brand 7/8" punch from mcmaster.com and it was also .895". Stopped my tube socket replacement job there and installed a eFET on a header.
If you want the greenlee punch, Home Depot stores have them in stock, no shipping charge required. Also all electrical supplies like Consolidated Electric.

Last edited by indianajo; 26th April 2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 26th April 2011, 12:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajo View Post
Be aware the Greenlee "7/8"" punch, is actually .895" instead of .875".
The Greenlee "Radio Chassis Punch" is actually 0.8775", you may be referring to the "Slug-Buster" punch.
Old 29th April 2011, 06:17 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

If it is conduit size it will say so on the outsize of the punch. Otherwise it is actual hole size. Greenlee punches are expensive. There are punch sets made in China at much lower price, could be a better choice if you don't use them often or don't need them to last a long time.
Old 29th April 2011, 06:12 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If the material being drilled is relatively thin, you can also use a step bit, also referred to as a unibit. They have the advantage of being useful for multiple sizes of holes.

Unibit Step Drills - Drill Bits - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS

Peace,

Dave
Old 29th April 2011, 11:59 PM   #8
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmconn View Post
If it is conduit size it will say so on the outsize of the punch. Otherwise it is actual hole size. Greenlee punches are expensive. There are punch sets made in China at much lower price, could be a better choice if you don't use them often or don't need them to last a long time.
The GreenLee punches are worth every penny in my opinion. I've bought a couple used on eBay and even though they've been 40+ years old, they still cut a nice hole.

Buy a nice tool. It only hurts once - when you pull your wallet out. Buy a crappy tool and it hurts every time you use it.

~Tom
Old 30th April 2011, 12:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Only problem I had with a Greenlee punch was a busted draw stud! It was more expensive to get a new stud than a used punch. I got mine from a retired tool and die maker in Pittsburgh.
Old 4th May 2011, 04:24 PM   #10
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Only problem I had with a Greenlee punch was a busted draw stud! It was more expensive to get a new stud than a used punch. I got mine from a retired tool and die maker in Pittsburgh.
That's impressive. I think they're supposed to cut through rather thick (3 mm?) steel. But yeah... Even good tools don't last forever. They only last a long time - provided that you take care of them.

~Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!