soldering iron from amptechtools?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i've got a weller wlc100, and i'm about to start assembling a bunch of pedals. the weller is a little worn, needs new tips, and has always been unwieldy for lack of temp regulation. so i'm considering an upgrade.

i really need to go as cheap as is feasible, though i recognize the value of going with better stuff down the line.

does anyone have experience with the soldering iron from amptechtools? it looks like i can get the station for $40, but i can't tell whether i need to buy the pencil option as well, or if it comes with the base station and the soldering wand/pencil thing.

the link:

https://amptechtools.powweb.com/solder.htm

if you think i'm better off going with another brand, what's the cheapest temp-controlled soldering iron/station you can recommend? me poor.

EDIT: i'm guessing i could just use my weber soldering pencil that comes with the WLC100 with this soldering station if i had to, right?

Last edited:
No you may not the iron has a 40 watt draw and most of the cheapies only handle 25 watts!

I have a bunch of the WLC100's and they are fine for general purpose soldering. But you must have the right tip! I set them about 70% for most all day cable and connector soldering. Higher for lead free, lower for 63/37 which is the solder you most likely should be using.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.