IR Thermometer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, a fluke Ti32.
Both they (Fluke) and FLIR have some excellent books on using the kit. I've got printed copies sent, their web sits have the details.
The fluke one is "Introduction to Thermography Principles"
Flir is "The Ultimate infrared handbook for R7D professionals"

One way to avooid emissitivity problems is black electrical insulation tape, or spray the board matt black. But the tape is excellont solution that Fluke showed us.

I just got a new IR thermometer. Nice as you can get point temperatures on the components. But you have to set emissivity.

I could not find data for semiconductors, or resistors and so on. Do someone use something like this ?

Thanks,

Davide

Much less of a problem than you might think, the 95% setting is rarely off by more than 5%. It's funny that water is a good cal point just like with a thermocouple. A slush ice point reference should read 0C. If you boil water you can correct for altitude and barometric pressure from tables and get 100C +-1 degree too. You need to take care on depth of focus and spot size. The germanium lenses are very expensive that's why a 1mm spot size can cost >$1000.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, a fluke Ti32.
Both they (Fluke) and FLIR have some excellent books on using the kit. I've got printed copies sent, their web sits have the details.
The fluke one is "Introduction to Thermography Principles"
Flir is "The Ultimate infrared handbook for R7D professionals"

One way to avooid emissitivity problems is black electrical insulation tape, or spray the board matt black. But the tape is excellont solution that Fluke showed us.

There's an extensive test of some of these units at Elektor:

Non-Contact Temperature Measurement - ELEKTOR.com | Electronics: Microcontrollers Embedded Audio Digital Analogue Test Measurement

jan

I just got a new IR thermometer. Nice as you can get point temperatures on the components. But you have to set emissivity.

I could not find data for semiconductors, or resistors and so on. Do someone use something like this ?

Thanks,

Davide

Which IR thermometer did you buy and how has it worked out for you?

I am thinking about buying a FLUKE-62 MAX PLUS for measuring surface temperatures of components. They do not specify a minimum distance so I am a concerned that it will not be possible to sample a small enough area.

Thanks,
Simon

Woops I meant area, I don't know with that one, we had the one with a nice screen with the video overlayed with the thermal information.
I would try fluke direct, as a quick search did not provide the info, though I should imagine you can get very near.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.