Any point in buying a scope for audio work? - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2011, 04:44 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

For those getting a first scope try finding one that has an on screen measurement system.

This feature is exteremly handy for quick and use full measurements.

Although mine does not have the higest level of resolution but it sure beats having to have a meter hooked up at the same time and takes the strain out of eyeballing and geusstimating the graticule. jer
Old 6th April 2011, 06:20 PM   #32
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldfryjr View Post
For those getting a first scope try finding one that has an on screen measurement system.

This feature is exteremly handy for quick and use full measurements.

Although mine does not have the higest level of resolution but it sure beats having to have a meter hooked up at the same time and takes the strain out of eyeballing and geusstimating the graticule. jer
Yes, I fully agree with that. The on-screen readout of amplitude and frequency are extremely convenient features.
Old 6th April 2011, 06:40 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

OWON-Meet your best needs

I'm getting the PDS5022S, can you tell from this sheet if it can do that on screen display? It does have realtime USB data transmission, so I guess measurments could be displayed on the PC....

Second link is the manual, only 668KB.

http://www.ageta.hu/pdf/pds5022s.pdf

Last edited by digits; 6th April 2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 6th April 2011, 08:29 PM   #34
diyAudio Member

Oh yes, according to the manual that system is all about on screen measurments. jer
Old 6th April 2011, 08:32 PM   #35
diyAudio Member

awesome, it will be my first scope...
Old 6th April 2011, 11:42 PM   #36
Banned

I bought a 40Meg Owon at he last place I worked at, it feels a bit cheap compared to the Tek scopes I used elsewhere, but I thought it good value for money.

Couple of little things, the screen has a narrow viewing angle and the math functions are a bit funny, if you change the resolution the readings change, so you have to avoid changing the resolution in those circumstances. This is a software issue, maybe they fixed it by now.

Here's what I wrote at the time:- OWON PDS 6042S oscilloscope review

w
Old 7th April 2011, 02:21 AM   #37
cliffyk is offline cliffyk  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a 60MHz Owon handheld, their HDS2062M-N, which is a pretty decent scope. The FTT mode is particularly good for an inexpensive 'scope, and it has a wide assortment of automated parameter measurements.

The multimeter mode is a bit silly with sometimes sluggish response; but the 'scope is very nice. It does, like most DSOs, use 8-bit DACs so all the dynamic range issues (48dB at best) apply.
Old 7th April 2011, 05:09 AM   #38
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie4416 View Post
This Fluke high voltage probe allows a multimeter to measure up to 40,000V though AC or DC Overvoltage Category I available from Mouser for $172.98
80K-40 Fluke Test Probes
I bought five or six of those Fluke 80K-40 probes at a mil-surplus auction, once, brand new, WITH current calibration stickers, for way less than one goes for now. I still have two of them. But one is missing its screw-in tip (was missing when I bought it; it's about like a soldering iron tip). They are BIG.

For scopes, I think the Tektronix P6015 probe was the 1000x 15kV one. A few of those passed through here, too, and even a can of the dielectric fluid they get filled with in order to work up to their full rated voltage. They might still be on ebay once in a while. Sometimes they weren't too expensive. But there are 100x probes that are far cheaper, I think, that might go up to 5000 Volts.

And there are lots of multimeter probes that go up to 5000 Volts, that are quite inexpensive. I probably still have lots of them, actually, from a large lot of multimeters that I bought, once, that all came with hard suitcases and accessories (Fluke 467 maybe?). [Please note that I am no longer in the business.]
Old 7th April 2011, 05:35 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Yes, Cliff, thanks I read similar reviews, seems like it can be fixed with the V1.7 firmware. I believe I have quite a learning curve that I could probably fit into the parameters this scope covers.

Could you explain where the 48db thing would come in analysing small electronic audio projects like say a headphone amp or a small class B. Like what would I be testing/looking at when I experience this limit as negative.

Gotee I need to get into your will it seems.

BTW, I saw most probes come in multiples of 10, i.e. x10 x100 x1000, now the probes I'm getting with the scope are apparently rated for 600V, would that just be a n insulation rating or is there also a voltage reduction takeing place in the probe? It would work out to something like 20x, I only see settings for 10, 100 and 1000 in the manual... feeling a bit confused.

Last edited by digits; 7th April 2011 at 05:39 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!