Use STP brake cleaner on noisy radio? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Design & Build > Equipment & Tools

Equipment & Tools From test equipment to hand tools

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2011, 05:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Use STP brake cleaner on noisy radio?

Hi, I have a roberts R25 radio that is very noisy when moving the tuning dial. I remember reading that to clean it I could spray the part with a cleaner. WD40 would work but apparently would then collect dust. As I have some stp brake cleaner, would this work as a contact cleaner or would it destroy the radio?. I also have some head cleaning solution. Would that work?.
Old 25th January 2011, 06:10 PM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

If it's a variable cap with many vanes then it has to be clean but also if/where the centre shaft runs through any bearings then these need to be treated with a little switch cleaner etc... or WD40... but only a pin head sized drop, then move the shaft fully one end to the other and repeat.

I would use a soft brush and vacuum first and then try lubricating the bearings as described... all assuming it's that type of variable cap and not an enclosed one.
Old 25th January 2011, 06:24 PM   #3
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Brake cleaner is nasty s**t. If you choose to use it, I'd definitely take the variable cap out of the radio first. Make sure there aren't any plastic parts on the cap before blasting it.

I'd be gentle. As Mooly suggests - maybe all you need is a tiny drop of acid free oil in the right place. Use a syringe and hypodermic needle.

~Tom
Old 25th January 2011, 08:35 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answers. I think i knew brake cleaners was too vicious, but i've got six cans of it to use up!. I'll leave it in the garage where it belongs.
I'll try the gentle approach as above. Thanks again.
Old 26th January 2011, 04:34 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Back in the 1950`s my dad use to fix noisy volume controls with a small drop of "Redex" (upper cylinder lubricant) but when he got some more 30 years later they had changed the formulation and it no longer worked.

Barry
Old 26th January 2011, 05:34 PM   #6
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Why not buy some switch cleaner? This is made for the purpose: cleaning switches and pots.
Old 26th January 2011, 05:39 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Well yes, but back in the fifties switch cleaner was novel and expensive whereas a shot of Redex was next to nothing from any garage.
Old 26th January 2011, 05:42 PM   #8
LT99 is offline LT99  United States
diyAudio Member

Be careful with brake cleaner if it's near a soldering iron or other heat source. I've seen several warnings about brake cleaner nearly killing people after using it to clean metal parts and then welding them. It forms a poison gas from the heat. I don't know if a soldering iron is hot enough to make this happen but look into this matter before using brake cleaner. Better safe than sorry! Brake Cleaner = Phosgene Article

Hide this!Advertise here!